Chapter 30

3-10-14

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stayed upstairs for a little while, taking a book off my bookshelf and reading almost two chapters. My eyes grew heavier and heavier, slowly slipping closed as I struggled to keep them open.

I shot up on the bed when the book came slamming down on my face.

“God dammit, that fucking hurt! Stupid book…” I grumbled the last part and slammed the book shut. Then I stood up and stretched before deciding to go back downstairs. If Jacob tries to mess with me again I’ll just wake Carter or Winter up. He won’t try anything when they’re awake. At least I don’t think he will…

I brushed that thought away and found a few extra blankets folded in the closet in the hall, snatching two more pillows off my bed and slowly feeling my way down the stairs. I stuck my foot out in front of me to find the next stair. I’m clumsy enough walking on a flat surface. So you can only imagine how much worse it would be going down the stairs not being able to see where I’m going while carrying some bulky blankets and pillows.

Yeah.

When I finally stepped off the last step I made my way into the living room, careful not to bump into a chair or knock anything over.

In the living room doorway I dumped the pile onto the floor and looked up to find the other two stilled passed out and Jacob sprawled out in the armchair, his hair looking tousled and spilling over his head like it always does when he’s asleep. I had half a mind to wake him up and tell him to go home.

Then I remembered what he told me that one night when I was at his house. About his family and how his parents are never home. Even when they are they don’t give him the light of day.

I felt my face visibly soften and my shoulders slumped. Picking up a blanket from the pile at my feet, I carefully unfolded it and stood in front of the chair. I draped it over his body, gently tucking it around him a little bit like I do with Michael.

I started to lean back but then stopped, my eyes staying locked on his face. My hand twitched and then slowly rose, going to brush the hair out of his face. I almost stopped myself but then remembered that he’s asleep.

My fingertips touched his soft hair and I gently moved it away from his eyes. Then, not taking my hand away, I let my fingers softly trace along his temple and down the side of his face. I stopped on his cheek and gently stroked it, cupping the side of his face in my hand.

I stared at his peacefully sleeping face and felt tears sting in my eyes. Not for me. For him. For all he’s gone through.

There are no words to describe how much I admire him for staying strong and getting through everything that he’s had to endure on his own. He didn’t have even one person to help him through it. I had Mom, Michael, Winter, and Carter. And he went through worse than me. First he lost his little sister and then his older brother. And now his parents treat him like some kind of disease, refusing to show him even the slightest hint of affection or any positive emotion for that matter.

Any other person, including myself, wouldn’t have been able to handle a thing like that. This boy in front of me is strong. Stronger than I am or could ever hope to be. I can’t imagine how lonely he must be.

A tear managed to escape and slowly fell down my face, falling off of my chin. I let my hand drop from his cheek and moved back. I’m not going to make him leave. To go back to an empty house that he probably doesn’t even consider home. I know I wouldn’t.