Chapter 25

2-20-14

Enjoy!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ducked my head and stayed close to the wall as I made my way to lunch, planning to stay long enough to get a drink and then go to the storage room to take a little nap on my couch.

All day long I’ve been nodding off in my classes, my eyelids drooping as the teachers drone on and on. Jacob hasn’t said a word to me after this morning. Actually, now that I think about it, I don’t even think he’s looked my way. Hasn’t even acknowledged my presence. Not that I have a problem with that. It’s not like I actually enjoy talking to him…

Okay, I’ll admit that sometimes, when he isn’t being rude or annoying, I don’t mind hanging out with him. And I’ve been thinking a lot since Saturday night. About him and his family. I’ve realized that despite what he’s had to go through he actually turned out a lot better than most would’ve in that situation.

Frowning, I entered the cafeteria and ended up somewhere in the middle of the line. So I’ll be here for a while. Sighing quietly to myself, I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the wall. I resisted the urge to close my eyes, knowing that if I do I’ll end up falling asleep against the wall. The people in this school don’t need another reason to think I’m weird.

The line moved a tiny bit after about two minutes and I sighed again. If it keeps moving like this I’m not going to get a drink. I’ll just go to the storage room for the rest of lunch. The more I thought about it the better it sounded.

Not long after the thought crossed my mind I finally lost what little patience I have right now and shoved off the wall, huffing off in the direction of the door. I came to a complete stop when Britney and her entire group of clones moved into my path, trying and failing to look intimidating.

“Oh great. This is just what I needed right now,” I mumbled to myself. One of my eyebrows raised as I looked at her, clearly showing how annoyed I am by her presence right now. But of course she just ignored it. She opened her mouth to say something but I butted in before she could.

“I don’t know what you’re going to say and frankly, I don’t give a shit. I’m not in the mood to deal with you right now so it would be greatly appreciated if you would take the fourteen-inch purple dildo out of your ass, shove it in that trap that you call a mouth, and leave me the fuck alone.” I didn’t give her time to reply and shoved my way past her, only to meet the shocked/amused look on Jacob’s face.

When my gaze met his, a grin stretched across his face. I raised an eyebrow at him but didn’t pause, catching a whiff of his delicious smelling cologne as I brushed by.

Pushing open the door, I took in a deep breath to take in the comforting smell of the room. My hand fell to my side as I stepped inside and the door clicked shut quietly. Weaving through the desks, boxes, stacks of old textbooks, and everything else in the room, I finally came to the couch.

I dusted the light layer of dust and sprawled out on top of it. As soon as I closed my eyes I felt the heavy fingers of sleep curl around my body as it grew heavy, my mind clouding over.

I’m only going to take a short nap…

…………

“Lyla,” a quiet voice murmured in my ear. A hand was placed on my shoulder, shaking me awake. I mumbled sleepily and rolled over, trying to get away from the hand that’s shaking me. “Lyla you need to wake up.” I groaned.

“Five more minutes Mom,” I grumbled. I heard a quiet chuckle and scrunched my eyebrows in confusion. My mom doesn’t sound like that when she laughs. And when did her voice become so deep?...

“I’m not your mom. You need to wake up. School is almost over.” The second those words registered in my mind I shot straight up, my head almost colliding with Jacob’s. He jerked back and laughed a little bit. “Holy shit Lyla. You almost knocked me out.” I didn’t acknowledge that he had even spoken, scrambling to my feet. He straightened out, towering over me.

“Shit!” I ran my hands roughly through my hair and then glared up into Jacob’s eyes. Reaching up, I jabbed him in the chest with my pointer finger. “You! This is your fault! If you hadn’t had that girl over there last night I would have gotten enough sleep and this wouldn’t have happened! God you are a complete assho-“ The words died in my throat when I felt his hands on my waist. He shook his head and chuckled.

“That’s quite an ugly word to be coming out of your pretty little mouth. Though I will admit that you’re hot when angry.” That stunned me into silence, causing his full lips to curve into that signature smirk of his.

I stood stock still, eyes wide as I stared up at him. His hands remained securely on my waist and he used them to pull me to his body, so close that our chests are only an inch away, almost touching.

What in the hell is wrong with this boy today?... I mean he’s been in a pissy mood since this morning and was ignoring me. Now he’s calling me hot and smirking at me like he does when he’s trying to get a girl to like him… Oh hell no. I’m not just some toy that he can play with and then toss aside when he gets tired of me.

Ripping myself out of his grasp when he wasn’t expecting it, I didn’t meet his eyes and instead scooped up my bag. Making my way quickly through the room to the door and yanking it open, I rushed off down the hall before he even had time to react.

When I was about to turn the corner I heard the door open and then footsteps but didn’t look back. I turned the corner and let out the breath that I didn’t realize I was holding. The bell rang and instantly I was submerged into the wave of students rushing out of their classrooms, eager to go home.

What is Jacob playing at? One minute we’re fine and laughing and then two seconds later he’s pissed off about something and ignoring me. Sometimes I wonder if he’s bipolar. And what’s with all of the mixed signals I’m getting from him? First he told Damen that I don’t mean anything to him, then he calls me sexy, after that he told Damen he doesn’t care about me yet again, then we had a really long and emotional conversation and I actually felt like he was letting me in, if only a little bit. But we did share two huge things in our lives.

I don’t know whether to think that he hates me, likes me as a friend, a little sister (though it doesn’t seem that way at all), if he cares at all or if he’s just faking it, or if he likes me in the same way that I might be starting to like him. Yes I’ve always found him attractive- I mean who wouldn’t?- but now it runs a bit deeper than just a physical attraction. In the short time that I’ve known him I’ve learned a few things about Jacob.

I shook my head at the thought. There’s no way. Someone like him would never like me. But there are two things that I know for sure about this whole mess:

1. Jacob is an extremely bipolar, annoying, hot as hell, angry, mysterious, confusing bad boy.

2. I need to stay away from him from now on before I get hurt.