Chapter 10

Sorry for the long wait but I just got my laptop back! D: I'll be updating the next chapter soon. Maybe tomorrow. I dunno. Enjoy! :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                The rest of the day went by quickly. When the bell rang to dismiss us I melted into the crowd like every day and made my way down the hall. Jacob passed by with some of the Barbies from this morning following him. I rolled my eyes and he saw this, sending me a smug look.

                I finally got out to the parking lot and found Carter leaning against his car, waiting for Winter. When I approached his eyes lit up and he grinned happily. I smiled back and walked into his open arms for a hug. The familiar smell of his cologne surrounded me and I smiled again as we pulled apart. Leaning against the car beside him, he reached out and took my hand, intertwining our fingers. I didn’t pull away. I don’t like him like that and we hold hands sometimes. It’s not weird for me at all.

                Winter came out of a crowd of people and skipped over to us, pulling us all into a group hug.

                “Are you coming home with us today?!” Winter asked excitedly, bouncing in place and grinning. Normally I walk home but I haven’t gone home with them for a while… I nodded.

                “Yay!” She squealed happily, hugging me again. “Do you want to sit in the front or back?”

                “Back.” We got in and I slipped into the back seat, pulling my iPod out of my pocket and turning a song on. I grinned and laughed a little when I heard what song it is. ‘Yo Ho’ by Blood on the Dance Floor. I mouthed the words silently and giggled quietly. It’s so inappropriate but hilarious. Winter is jabbering in the passenger seat and the radio is on so they didn’t hear me. I smiled again and looked out the window.

                We pulled up in front of my house and I leaned forward, hugging them both and getting out of the car. I waved and watched them drive off until they rounded the corner. Turning, I went to the front door and unlocked it, going inside.

                I trudged up the stairs slowly and dumped my bag on the floor. It’s kind of warm in here. I went into the closet and grabbed a pair of baggy black shorts that go down to about my mid-thigh and a dark blue tank top. Changing in the bathroom, I came back out and threw my dirty clothes in the hamper, flopping down on the bed.

                My phone went off and I rolled over, plucking it off of the nightstand. I opened the new text and clenched my jaw, my eyes watering with anger and sadness.

                Landon: Lyla. I’m really sorry about everything. Can you please call me as soon as possible? Love you. <3

                I closed off of it and tossed my phone to the end of the bed, closing my eyes. I need to answer him soon but not right now. He can’t just expect me to accept him back like nothing happened. We used to be really close; he was my best friend and I told him everything. Then he left and never called, never even sent a letter or a text to tell us that he’s okay, nothing. I thought that he didn’t care anymore. Now he’s suddenly trying to come back into our lives.

                Sighing, I got to my feet and went downstairs to start on dinner. Normally I don’t make dinner every night because Mom likes to do it too sometimes, but lately she’s been really tired and stressed out. Especially since Dad called her. Michael doesn’t know about this and he won’t unless we get it all straightened out. He’s three; he shouldn’t have to worry about that.