The door was pulled open and I was faced with Mrs Norris' wrinkled face. She looked to be around seventy years old, and she was still going strong. Her hair was soft and white, looking like a cloud had been put on her head. She was plump, with kind eyes and a gentle smile. She would make the perfect grandmother.

"Hi, Mrs Norris. I've come to pick up William."

The old woman nodded her head and pulled the door further open, stepping back so that I would be able to come inside. She made no mention of my face.

"He's just eating some dinner. Come on in honey."

I stepped gratefully into the toasty warmth of her house, smiling. I was thankful that she had given him some food.

"Would you like some dinner too? You look famished. You need to get some meat on those bones of yours."

I hesitated, sinking my teeth down into my lower lip. I was starving hungry and didn't know if mum had done any food shopping but...I didn't want to be a nuisance. I eventually shook my head as she led me through to the living room where William was sat on a pillow in front of the coffee table, eating some food.

"No thank you. I'm not really hungry."

My stomach grumbled in response, contradicting my words. I felt my cheeks heat up as I blushed. Mrs Norris placed a hand on my shoulder, guiding me over to the sofa.

"Nonsense. I'll go get you something."

She waddled off in the direction of the kitchen. William turned around and on realising that I was there, he launched his small body at me, hugging me tightly. I ruffled his hair before he went to sit down in front of his food once more.

"Did you have a good time at nursery?"

William nodded his head as he carefully spooned some food into his mouth.
A moment later, Mrs Norris came back into the room, holding out a bowl of thick tomato soup to me. It smelled delicious, and I was really thankful that she had offered me food as I didn't know when I would next be getting a meal. I thanked Mrs Norris and spooned some of the soup into my mouth. An explosion of flavour blasted my taste buds, and I couldn't help but grin.

"This tastes so good, Mrs Norris."

I told her truthfully, quickly eating some more of it. I wished that I had a mother who could cook like this.

"So how's Cora doing?"

Mrs Norris asked me, referring to my mother as she took a seat on the other end of the sofa and put her fat feet up onto the patterned ottoman. I lifted my shoulders in a shrug and smiled at her, swallowing my spoonful of soup before I answered her.

"She's good, thanks for asking."

Of course I couldn't tell her the truth. If she knew what was really going on in our household then she would call social services, and I didn't want that. As much as I hated living with my mother, I didn't want William and I to be split up. Mrs Norris nodded her head before she spoke again.

"She asked me if I would be able to pick up William from nursery every day seeing as you're at school."

She commented, her gentle eyes watching me as her lips tugged into a frown, causing the skin on her cheeks to sag further.

"I'm sorry...I would pick him up myself but I'm still at school when he's supposed to finish."

I told her apologetically, finishing off the last of my soup and resting the warm bowl on my cold thighs. Mrs Norris waved a hand in front of her face, dismissing my apologies.