Drawn To Prohibited Minds

Start from the beginning

"We should talk Stella."

"Not now please," I said trying to get a hold of the internet.

"No we need to talk about what happened."

"Please I don't wanna get dragged into your problems with Megan."

"I meant what happened at the cemetery."

"Nothing happened there," I denied in case he'd gotten suspicious about me.

"Yes it did, you were in the car but..."

"Oh you mean after I left you?"

"Yes."

"What did you find?"

"Why are you acting so strange?" He noticed my behavior instead of answering my question.

"Do you want a list?" I said sarcastically to throw him off as the plane flew over the cities and I was taking him back to where Sybil wanted.

"It's about Marie."

"What about her?"

"Why didn't you tell me you saw her?"

"Saw her? How could I have seen her?"

"The picture on the computer, you were looking for her family and you didn't care to share the information?"

"No."

"No?"

"No I didn't want to share anything until I knew what I was looking at," I got up to go the bathroom and he got up too.

"What else are you hiding from me? What else did you find in Athens? What do you know Stella?" He wasn't playing anymore, he was ready to squeeze the information out of me any way he could.

"Don't touch me! I said I don't want to talk Stephen!"

"What did you just call me?"

"Stephen?" He panicked and so did I, who was Stephen, I couldn't remember meeting a Stephen. "How do you know my name?"

"I... don't know."

"Stella tell me the truth!"

"I am telling you the truth so stop talking to me like... Like..."

"Like what? Like you know more than you're letting on!"

"What? Am I being interrogated or something? I don't owe you anything, not after you left out an entire person and a wedding ring out of our very sincere conversations."

"And a divorce!"

"That is yet to be finalized because she still loves you! You know what it's none of my business," I walked to the jet's bathroom.

The scientist squirmed at whatever I could potentially know about him which meant whatever he was hiding was serious enough for him to even get angry with me which he hadn't up to this point.

"Stella I'm sorry I lost my temper, can't we just talk about this like two civilized adults?"

"No we can't and go back to your seat, I don't want to be near you right now." I sat as far as I possibly could and anxiously waited for the plane to touch down for this day to be over, to go home.

The internet began to work so I turned on my phone and looked up jobs, sent in my archived resume to places in Florida, Seattle, San Francisco even Texas so I could get as far as possible from Syracuse. Then after a couple of hours browsing jobs I looked up the inscription on the angel's sword: respice finem, which translated into "regard the end." So I clicked away at other sites trying to decipher what was the meaning behind the phrase regard the end and I wasn't very thrilled when it brought back to mind the nightmare I'd had. It was the same word again, Finem, the end, in another haunting confusing phrase and the meaning behind it was even more elusive than expected. Regard the end meant to live as if prepared for death; Merriam Webster even went as far to define it as to live now in a way our lives may be approved after death. The phrase also meant to consider the final outcome, what outcome, what was I being warned about? Or why did it feel like a warning because in the same manner the scientist watched me, I watched him. I couldn't relax anymore especially not when I was leading him to something I didn't know about, to Sybil.

"Alright we're here," the scientist said and that's when I heard her again.

"Stella are you in Syracuse?" Sybil talked inside my mind.

"Home sweet home," I said trying to hide the fact I was hearing voices.

"Lead him away to where others won't see you and when I tell you to touch his head you do it," Sybil asked but how was I going to do that?

"I'll help you to your car," he said.

"Um okay," I responded so he followed me to the parking lot and when I opened the trunk he lifted my bag and put it inside.

"There you go."

"Thanks for walking me to the car," I said hoping Sybil was listening.

"Sure no problem," he was getting confused by me being nice to him after the fight.

"Okay touch his head now!" Sybil yelled and I placed both my hands on opposite sides of his head.

"Stella? What are you doing? Ahhh!"

The Scientist began to go pale in front of me putting his hands on top of mine and I could see how whatever was happening was hurting him so much his eyes began to roll back and shut.

"What are you doing? What's happening to him!" The panic from seeing the scientist grow weaker and weaker falling on the parking lot concrete scared me, "don't hurt him!"

"What did youuuu ah! Ahhhh!" He shouted in pain and I began to regret ever listening to some stupid voice I had no reason to trust. 

"It's temporary pain, he won't even remember it, and it'll be over soon, I promise," Sybil explained

"Okay but now would be better!"

With the wink of my eyes like Dorothy's red slippers I was back in my bed with the alarm going off so I could go to work on Monday...
Wow my dreaming skills were actually quite impressive and detailed, as if anything like that could ever happen to a nurse in Syracuse. Then I followed my normal morning routine of coffee, breakfast and once I arrived Dr. Herzberg was looking through a microscope.

"Morning Stella."

"Good morning doc."

"How was your weekend?" Dr. Herzberg lifted his eyes and smiled at me.

"Um it consisted of TV, coffee, and takeout, yours?" I sat by him and waited for him to say what we would be working on with Dr. Fitzgibbons away.

"Perfectly adequate, so tell me about your new telly obsession."

"It's a house renovation show called Fixer Upper, it got me thinking about getting some shelves in the living room, I need more book space."

"Funny, I always have the same problem."

"Well cheers," I lifted my coffee cup and after we toasted our morning coffee his phone rang.

"Hold that thought," he asked going outside the lab and the rest of the day passed by exactly the way I enjoyed it, monotonously, leaving myself at peace and the memory of a really messed up dream behind...

___________________________

Part 1 is done but stay tuned for Pt. 2 coming soon...

******************************

Copyright: All Rights Reserved to A. Sena Gomes.