Hunting for Angels

March 14th, 2015

March 14th, 2015.

As we drove I caught a sight of the cemetery so when he stopped the car in the middle of it to talk to the groundskeeper I wasn't too thrilled.

"Good afternoon sir," the scientist said lowering the window.

"Afternoon," the old hunchback man stopped raking the leaves.

"Hi we're looking for the families of a couple of friends, do you know who can help us find it?"

"Are they dead?"

"Uh well I suppose someone in their family is."

"And the names?" His teeth were crooked and his jaw inched forward like a doll with a loose jaw.

"McCallan and Hunter," the scientist said then I thought of Ezra and Jane Presley, wondering where if they would be here too.

"Follow me," the man asked us so the scientist and I left the car to find out who were Sybelle and Marie related to.

The ground still had fall leaves and some winter snow on the ground; the flowers were frozen though it looked like anyone barely visited this cemetery. Our shoes lefts marks behind us and then we walked by the statue of a life size angel with a sword as tall as his chest wearing garments of a warrior. On the blade of this angel's sword was a Latin inscription and I stopped to read it, "Respice Finem."

"Who's this?" I asked the groundskeeper stopping in front of the angel that guarded a fenced in monument.

"The guardian of the grave behind it."

"And who's in the grave?"

"I don't know they were already dead when I got the job."

"Right," I shook my head and when they weren't focused on me I took a picture of the grave and the inscription to search up later.

"Here is the only Hunter in this cemetery, the rest of them are in the other cemetery and the McCallan in another one, we have five you know."

"But why are the Hunters and McCallans spread out like that?" I asked thinking it was funny that only one of them ended up here.

"Because the McCallans don't get along with the Hunters or the angels, you won't find one pretty little angel over at the McCallan cemetery, only here."

"Angels?"

"Yes and this is the only Hunter in this cemetery, Sybil Hunter, her grave was violated a while back."

"Violated?" I jumped to to the conclusion that our Sybelle at the lab could be a stolen corpse, maybe somebody buried her by mistake? These stories felt less so to with science and more like crime scenes.

"Sorry but is there any chance Sybil Hunter had a daughter, a niece called Sybelle?" The scientist noticed I wasn't ready to watch the zombie apocalypse go down so he made a rational question.