Cake and the World for Dinner

01

01. 29. 2015

The house was traditional and much too big for two people, I liked small cozy rooms and through their kids room I felt the home aspect of it. There were toys, posters, old used beds the life of their family displayed in the history of the great house. They had four kids, two girls and two boys which two became doctors and I counted ten grandchildren in the many pictures from Disneyland.

"Four children I can't even imagine living with that many people every day."

"So you live alone?"

"Yeah, you?"

"It's hard not to when you move around like I do."

"Right, demands of the job."

"Yes."

"And any big plans coming up?"

"There's one in the works but I know better than to plan too far ahead," and before I knew it we had dived in to the personal.

"Hmm so the job keeps you from making long term plans?"

"No, people do."

"Okay that's not abstract at all."

"I mean think about it, some people are out there walking around right now, living their lives to the full capacities of their bodies and the next they're dead. Then  there's others in the hospital open on table at risk for death and live for many years still, and just like that people are unpredictable even from a scientific point let alone from a human view."

"Such as?"

"Everyone's so easily changed, our great worshiped cities created a restlessness we can't fight. Turning everyday people emphatically curious about new promises which renders them useless to commitment. While someone may wake up wanting to spend the rest of their lives with another soon after another offer they begin to rethink what they got. And yes we can wonder why the restlessness of the world but nothing would change the outcome and therefore I don't plan."

"Ah well no arguments here."

"Really? A cynic or a realist?"

"I'd like to say realist but the probability of it being just my many flaws keeping away potential interest is more likely. We never like to think we are to blame in some part for things going wrong right? It's bad for our ego."

"So you're saying it's all my fault people call me Dr. Iceberg and why I have nothing but science to keep me warm at night."

"No I'm saying maybe it's all my fault I have nothing but my socks and science to keep me warm at night." I joked my way out of it and he chuckled paying no mind to his nickname.