The Black Night Writer

Cont

Cont... 2 . 02 . 15.

"Yes, why? What do you know?"

"Nothing we just talked."

"You two talked? I thought you didn't like him."

"I didn't but we talked."

"About what?"

"Um he seemed pretty unhappy with everything so I might have suggested he should go be happy instead of miserable here in Syracuse."

"And then he quit," Dr. Herzberg shook his head.

"Yeah but what are you doing here? Picking up your stuff to leave?"

"Does that mean you want me gone like Harlan or that you're happy to see me?"

"You didn't answer my question," I almost stuttered and his inappropriate question.

"I'm not leaving."

"Oh I thought you and Dr. Fitz would be out for three months."

"That was the plan but he can do it on his own, he doesn't need me there to babysit him though Vera would've liked it."

"How is she?"

"Same lovely hostess, it's a shame you didn't stay longer at the dinner, for her sake."

"Sorry I had to go, didn't feel well," like now, where my stomach seemed to flip in all kinds of way inside of me.

"I could've taken a look at you, made sure you felt better before driving off."

"Thank you so what made you wanna stay anyways? I thought you loved these kinds of tours and I assumed you'd be bored of Syracuse by now."

"Well I am very good at finding ways to not be bored."

"Any specific hobbies?"

"Riddles wanna try one?"

"Why not?"

"Okay whaat shines in the darkness, burns bright in the daytime but none can ever touch it?"

"Uh fire?"

"Good guess but I'm looking for another answer."

"And if I don't get it?"

"I have a feeling it will come to your mind."

"Doctor Herzberg your patients are here," Carrie walked in to his lab to let him know.

"Thank you Carrie but Stella's got it from here," he said but I wasn't supposed to be working for him yet, the trial was only going to start when Dr. Fitzgibbons came back.

"I thought she was only doing the trial," Carrie retorted.

"No, I told the chief it'd be easier if Stella didn't have to float around in your well organized schedule. And we both agreed it'd be best for her to be already involved in what I'm doing in the absence of Dr. Fitzgibbons."