Breathe But Don't Forget

January 19th, 2015

January 19th, 2015

"Stellaaah... Stellah... Stella," it was Dr. Herzberg's voice repeating my name in a dream state like morning when I woke up slowly questioning why the hell it got stuck in my mind. Was I crushing on Dr. Herzberg? No, I couldn't be, I mean sure he was kind of handsome from a specific stand point but I kinda thought he was too serious, with zero ability of enjoyment with his typical British fish cold like eyes. So no I was not crushing on the brilliant neurosurgeon, I liked livelier people, someone who actually knew how to smile for a change in the midst of this winter.

The weather raged on blowing a couple of flurries while I drove my Ford Thunderbird to work. The phone plugged in to my new stereo system to listen to a new audio book from Astronaut Wives Club, I had to fit in some reading somewhere on my schedule.

I'd finally been able to eat my lunches without it getting stolen but of course I had earned another nickname, doctor's pet. Harlan constantly taunted me for being too friendly with Dr. Fitzgibbons and Dr. Herzberg so nasty rumors had started getting around. Looking back CC wasn't so bad but I also wouldn't have let the opportunity of getting Harlan in trouble pass me by.

Then my concentration was broken when a huge bump and noise came from the wheel of my car so it coasted off to the side of the road.

"Ugh just what I needed," I stepped out of the car in the middle of nowhere and saw the back right tire had blown when it hit a sharp thing in the middle of the road.

"Great now how do I change a tire?" I complained then remembered one could google just about anything these days.

The car jack was ready and as I was about to change the tire someone honked at me, it was his unmistakable black car who backed up and stopped right in front of mine. Harlan would've had a field day if he saw this; but it was kinda odd how every time I turned around Dr. Herzberg was always there.

Once again he came out of nowhere and for the second time to my rescue. He'd still been bumping into me "accidentally" in the lab though I did my best to not ever get in his way. Though honestly I was downright trying to avoid him because every time he said my name or smiled I had the most puzzling sensations running back and forth in my mind.

"Stella? It is you."

"Uh yeah it's me, the nurse from the hospital." I watched his black coat sway with the winter wind as he got out of his car.

"What happened here?"

"I..." I touched my head as it whirled into a hurricane like sensation and let the wrench fall from my hand.

"Feeling alright?" He asked and I leaned on the car seeing double.

"Um I'm..."

My heart beat out of my chest when I looked into his eyes and saw the calmest color of the sea. In the moment I wasn't myself and he wasn't him I was transported to a different setting than this road. It was a vision where him and I collided, his hair slicked back dressed in black standing on a cemetery and I was dressed in red from head to toe holding on to his arm exactly like I was doing now wholly taken in by him.