A Week's Fever

1/28/2015

1/28/2015

Throughout the week I kept trying to come with excuses to back out of the dinner, and so on Thursday I was convinced I had a fever. And when the nurses went to their assigned research in the morning I went for the thermometer but Dr. Fitz saw it and checked out my temperature himself. Unfortunately it was 99.9 and when I mentioned not feeling too well to go on Friday's dinner he didn't take me seriously.

"Eat an apple Miss Stella I'm sure you'll keep the fever away but not the doctor," Dr. Fitz made fun of my non existing fever.

"Just go put on some Nat King Cole at least he was a gentleman," I rolled my eyes.

"How could a young lady say such a thing to a poor old man?"

"Poor old man? Where?"

"Stella?" The scientist walked in on Dr. Fitz chuckling and throwing out his gloves.

"Oh hi there," Dr. Fitz said to his colleague.

"Something wrong?"

"Nothing for you to worry, it's just Miss Stella here thought she had a fever but she'll be fine for tomorrow night."

"What's her temperature?" The scientist put his hand on my forehead before I could even wink.

"99.9 like I said she will be fine Dr. Herzberg," Dr. Fitz repeated as if to get him away from me, he'd probably heard the rumors too.

"Check it again in an hour to make sure it doesn't go up," Dr. Herzberg told me taking his hand off.

"Yeah okay," I nodded and left the room.

In exactly an hour I took my temperature waiting for the thermometer to beep when I saw the number it had dropped to 98.7.

"Dammit," I threw my gloves out from my temperature not cooperating.

"Stella are you okay?" I heard the scientist ask me.

"Yes I'm fine," I said but he wasn't there.

"Talking to yourself?" Harlan made fun of me.

"Get away Harlan," I got away annoyed at him for catching me acting insane.

"Hey did you hear about the man who got cooled to absolute zero?"

"What?" I was confused by the random question.

"He's OK now, get it? It's Dr. Iceberg..."

"Hilarious," I told him and as he went away laughing at his own joke I mumbled "Get it together Stella," and there I was talking to myself again, "ugh..."

On Thursday it was impossible to sleep though I was overworked and in the night many of my anxious feelings wished to have some more control over the scientist. It'd be great if I found a way to make him stop talking to me because I couldn't bear to be dismissive when he treated me so well. The point was his constant presence was destroying my sanity, reputation, respect with the staff and he couldn't care less.