Namjoon and a book

"Yoongi, come here. Got something to show you."

"For the love of God, Kookie. Stop. Pointing. The. Barrel. At. Your. Fucking. Face. I'm coming, Hob."

"I found another cursed object. It's called the Book of Curses. The bookstore actually has it up for an auction."

"How the hell do you even know it's cursed? The book looks bogus."

"Three of the past owners all died in mysterious ways, one month after purchase. But get this, before they died, good things happened to them."

" Nothing wrong in checking it out then. 'Book Of Curses. Don't read this book - It's cursed.' Talk about a pretty straight forward warning. You got to be an idiot to buy it. This should be easy. Buy it off the auction site."

"Erm, I can't."

"Why not?"

"Apparently an idiot has already bought it."

"Dammit. Who is this idiot? Why the fuck do they do something when it's clearly written NOT TO DO IT!!!?"
________________________________________

Kim Namjoon was an avid book fanatic. Everywhere he went, every state he stopped by, he made sure to visit at least one antique looking bookshop, in search for a rare gem. A first edition or a limited edition or a one of a kind book, something he would be proud to show off to his intellectual friends. Some people lived spending money on booze, drugs, gambling, cars or sex; but Namjoon, Namjoon preferred spending it all on books. Talk about being a huge nerd.

Namjoon liked to aimlessly walk the streets at night, music blaring from his headphones as he contemplated the meaning of life or how small his existence was compared to the sun, moon or stars. With a brain like his, there was no way Kim Namjoon could just accept that humans are on earth just to die or as amusement for a higher being. No, Kim Namjoon always asked questions no one could give him concrete answers to. That's why he loved reading. Being ignorant is something Namjoon hated more than anything else in the world.

On one such walk, he ended up in an unfamiliar road. It was an abandoned, long road with no signs of the living. Namjoon had no idea how he got there and certainly no idea how to get out of there. After walking a while, he came across a small store, almost hidden against all the bigger, bolder signboards and fancy doors. A small open sign hung against the window. In gold, cursive writing : Bookstore of Desires. The sign was so dilapidated that you could only make up the words if you stood directly in front of it. Namjoon smiled.

"Maybe today is my lucky day, after all." he thought.

He entered the dingy, stuffy store, looking up as he heard the wind chime tinkling overhead. "Hello. Is anyone there?" he called out. No reply. Since he was already surrounded by rows and rows of books, he figured he might actually take a look around. After all, how dangerous could a bookstore be, right? He picked up a navy blue hardcover book, looking at the words that looked strangely familiar. Namjoon felt at peace. The smell of old parchment and ink was one of nostalgia. He caressed the spine of the book and gently opened it, careful not to do too much damage to the book. Scanning the alien wordings, Namjoon racked his brain as to where he had seen that particular alphabets before.

"You have good eyes, boy. That's a Russian fairy tale book, capable of even standing up to our own Brother Grimm's." an old lady whispered, making Namjoon jump, knocking down at least a dozen books stacked on top of each other.

"I'm so sorry. You startled me. I shall arrange these books right away." Namjoon said, apologizing.

"No need, child. I think you are most probably the last customer this bookshop will ever see."

"What's going to happen to this place?"

"My grandson sold it to a real estate agent. Apparently this place does not fit into their plan of a new hip town. It's too old, too outdated. They will be demolishing the store tomorrow and I will be going to the nursery home."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. It's not your fault. All those who have wronged me will pay. Since you are such a darling, please accept this book of mine as a small token of appreciation from me." the wheezing old lady said, as she pushed a small black book into Namjoon's hand.

"I really can't. If you want, I will pay for it."

"Oh please, no. I knew that you loved books the moment I saw you handling that Russian book earlier. At least this way, I know the bookstore lives on in the hearts of those that value books. Please, I insist."

"Erm, the Book of Curses?" Namjoon asked, head tilted as he inspected the silver wordings on the cover of the small book in his hands.

"Oh silly boy. Don't let the title scare you. It truly is a book that will show you a brighter future. Trust me."

"But it's written here that it's a cursed book and we shouldn't read it."

"Fortune comes to those that are bold. You didn't think good things came without sacrifice, yes?"

"Sacrifice is a big word, ma'am."

"Trust me, child. Isn't there something you really want? This book will help you achieve it."

"What I want is not materialistic. It's someone who is sweet and caring and gentle and is a narcissist, but also cooks the best dishes and has an unholy obsession with the color pink."

"She must be a lucky girl. This book will help you get her."

"Girl? Yes, indeed. I shall take your word for it, ma'am."

"Oh, I must warn you."

"That sounds ominous."

"Good fortune comes to those that share. If you are greedy, tragedy will befall you."

"A pretty straight forward riddle? Thank you, I guess."

"One more thing."

"More warnings?"

"No. To get out off this street, walk straight till you come to the traffic lights and turn right. Walk on straight till you come to the main road."

"Oh, thank you."

Namjoon took one final look at the tiny black book held securely in his long fingers before slipping it into his bag and walking into the night, not once wondering how the old lady knew that he was lost in the first place.