Yes, Moyo isn't a taxicab operator. He's a filling-station attendant and a bachelor who manages his income well. He returned earlier from work and thought of fishing around for a potential spouse, targeting the cinema where ladies throng.

As always, Richard gets the nod as the one to bring along. He's the specialist who knows how to approach ladies, having been a catcher since high school. Thirty-two years old but lady-shy Moyo needs his friend's gravitas to win over a fitting partner. Toying with ladies' hearts or purposeless flings aren't top on his wish list.

After speeding through the highway during which Moyo observes the light traffic, they soon arrive at Audrey's house on Western Street, a Morningside suburb. He parks the car by the roadside and reclines on the headrest. "Here we are, ma'am." His eyes bounce off the dashboard to check the time: only seventeen minutes spent.

"Press the horn, please. Someone is indoors."

The lad hits the steering wheel thrice, bending his torso to see who'll emerge from the house: a decent three-bedroom bungalow – the first of twelve others on the street, all of the same size and structural design. Each house is demarcated from the next by a barbed brick wall, but Mama's building has a lush lawn in front and a metallic-red entrance gate. Her neighbour's house is ungated.

Walking through the lawn and emerging from the compound is a young lady with a beautiful face, long and slender neck, artistic shoulders, slim waist, bulky hips and long legs. As she makes for his Yaris, Moyo's jaw drops gawking the damsel whose tall frame and graceful gaits are worth a second look. Even a fifth.

He purses his lips and raises one brow, observing her facial semblance with the old woman. Is this her daughter?

"Mauya," Sheline greets as Audrey exits the vehicle.

Audrey hugs her, calling her name before saying a short prayer.

That greeting isn't uncommon in the locality, but the voice uttering it this evening is one a man should listen to several times. He jumps out of the car, makes for the rear and brings out the first bag which he places on the pavement, close to Sheline.

She nods at him in greeting.

"Hello." Moyo raises his right-hand for a handshake, but she'll rather pick the bag which she takes inside, flashing a demure smile to dispel any thought of a snub. He brushes it off and quickly offloads the other bags.

While Audrey counts currency notes from her purse, Moyo watches with parted lips as Sheline moves to and fro. Could this be the reason he brought this old woman home?

"Take this, please," Audrey says, stretching out a hand.

"Ma?" He turns around, wiping his forehead as if recovering from a trance.

Instead of receiving the cash, Moyo casts a scrutiny glance across her face, hoping to scoop her reaction to his drool over the pristine beauty nearby. Does she notice the pounding heart beneath his blue t-shirt?

But Audrey's inexpressive face says little to encourage him towards her daughter nor does it warn him to steer clear. Unsure what her reaction would be should he go after the young lady, Moyo waves both hands and shakes his head vigorously. "Don't worry ma'am. You don't have to pay me. I'm happy to have brought you home safely."

"Uh?" Her brows rise as a hand rests on her chest. "You reject the money despite the high cost of fuel?"

"Ma, I have a mother like you at home. Don't worry about paying." Moyo continues to shake his head.

Eyes gleaming with tears, Audrey takes a studied look at him and then keeps the money.

Arriving to take the last bag, Sheline watches as her mom appreciates Moyo's generosity. She peeks at him and then looks away, wary of locking eyes with him.