Decisions

Never Look Back (Chapter 39)

Camila

"You can't do that. That would be kidnapping." Mike said shaking his head.

"I would bring her to court for this. I'd fight her on this, and you know I will not stop." I warned them. I was really fed up. She can hurt me all she want, but when it comes to Ava, I am not playing. The kid already went through alot, and you do this, because of frustration? She already told Ava that one time that she wished she wasn't around, making the child wish she wasn't brought to her, and now, this?

"Camila, you are not related---"

"I am Lucy's sister. She is more related to me than all of you." I answered back. Maybe they forgot about that part, but it is true. I know I'm not the only living blood relative she has, but still, I will never let her live with any of our relatives.

"Where will you live? Do you have the money? The job? How about what school are you sending her?" Clara asked as I sighed, rubbing my forehead.

"I am actually thinking about it. I'm thinking of filing a restraining order first, before anything else." I said as Mike shook his head, again.

"Can't you just talk about this first?---"

"I don't know anymore, Mike." I sighed. "Why don't we just let the little one rest in a bed, let her have breakfast. I will talk to her, and we can decide on what to do." I said calmly.

"How about Lauren? Aren't you worried about her?" Clara asked.

"I am more worried about Ava than Lauren right now. Lauren's a grown woman. She can take care of herself." I said as I stood up, bringing Ava with me to the room. I can't deal with her parents right now. I need to think for myself. For Ava. What the next perfect move would be.

--

I had only one person to call. Maybe this would be a little biased, but maybe she's the only thing that would probably understand everything. I just need someone, somebody that is not related, or friends with Lauren.

"Camilita."

"Mamà" A sob came out of my mouth the moment I heard my mother's voice.

"What's wrong? What did Lauren do to you?" She sounded angry, and worried. Mother's instinct, ofcourse.

"Just misunderstandings." I whispered.

"Okay. I am booking you ticket to California." She hurriedly said. I could hear the tapping of the laptop keys as she mumbles some curse words in Spanish.

"Ava's with me, okay, Mamà." I said a couple of minutes after as I heard her sigh.

"Dios Mio, Mija. She not your child."

"She's family. She's my niece, if you want all the genetics. I'm her tia. I need to do this." I said as my mother stopped talking.

"Plane leaves in 4 hours. Go to airport to get your ticket, I send it to you too. I see you in the house." And with that she hung up.

"Camila?"

I woke up from knocks on the door. And more knocks that was waking up not just me, but also Avalyn.

"Camila, wake up."

That was Clara.

"Lauren is here. Please come out."

No. This can't be happening. I am not ready to face her. I know Ava was scared too. She got up when she heard Lauren's name and jumped straight into my arms.

"Mama. No." She whispered to me, scared.

"Camz." Lauren barged in the room, scaring both Ava and I. Ava hurriedly ran to me, instantly hiding her face on my back.

"Don't go near us." I tried to speak without fear, but I'm scared shitless. And Ava shaking behind me wasn't helping my nerves. 

Lauren looked like she hasn't slept in days. Her eyes are red, and puffy. Even if she's a few feet away from me, the burning smell of alcohol and smokes was filling my nostrils. And with that, I know this talk wouldn't be as calm as I was hoping. 

"Baby, please talk to me. I'm s---"

"Don't come near us, Lauren." I said again as her I could see her face turned from tired to angry.

"You can't tell me what to do!" She screamed, trying to go near me. "I can do whatever I want!" 

"Momma, please." Ava whispered from behind me.

"This wasn't suppose to happen." Lauren said, running her hands through her hair, walking closer to us. 

"Come any closer, or you'll regret it." I warned her. "Lauren, it's done. You already did --"

"You don't have fucking proof!" She screamed at me, lunging at me and Ava, but she stopped when I put my arm out, and screamed at her. 

"No proof?" I had to control myself. I am so angry. "Proof? Are Ava's bruises nothing to you? Isn't that enough proof to get you off your parental rights? Just one phone call Lauren, and Ava wouldn't be under your care anymore!"

"You can't do that! You can't do that to me!" She screamed at me, again, tears falling down her cheeks. 

"You did this to yourself, Lauren. We'll see you in court." I carried Ava and stormed outside the room, ignoring Lauren's pleas behind me.

"I will sue you back for kidnapping." Sobbing. "Why are you doing this to me. Why are you hurting me again. You're leaving me alone again. You promised me, Camila." 

"What is happening here?" Clara walked to us, stopping me, and making Lauren catch up on me and Ava. 

"Mama." Ava held on to me tighter, seeing Lauren was probably just a few inches away from her.

"Baby. Please don't leave me again. Please don't leave me alone again. I promise not to hit Ava anymore. I'm sorry I hit her.  Please don't leave me. Please don't make me feel alone again. I'm-"

"What's happening here? No one leaves until we solve this--"

"She was about to pounce at us minutes ago!" I shouted at Mike. "This is not how I pictured my life to be. Not like this. So we're leaving." I said, wiping the tears that was falling down my eyes. 

"Camila, please?" Clara held on to my shoulder as I shook my head. 

"Clara, we can't be beaten up for the rest of our lives." I reasoned out.

"I pormise I won't hurt you anymore, Camila. Please don't leave me." Lauren was held by Big Rob who came out of nowhere. 

"Come to Grampa, Ava. Come on." Mike tried to grab Ava from me, but the little girl held onto me tighter. 

"No! I don't want to stay with you. Mama. Help me please." Ava started sobbing as I pushed Mike's arms away from the little girl. 

"I'll send the paperworks to your office by tomorrow morning." I walked out of the room shutting out Lauren's pleas and sobs in my ears. All I care about right now was Ava. Only Ava.

--