Dragonfly.

Never Look Back Chapter 5

RECAP : 

"That's the Miami sunset. I've seen it too. Once or twice." I smiled at her, staring at her eyes. She looked back at the painting, admiring it once again. 

"Well, I hope I see it too and do THIS picture justice. It's beautiful." She whispered the last words. Why did that make my stomach flutter. Oh gosh.

"Hey, I kinda know the artist behi—" I was about to tell her I was the artist, when I heard an ear piercing scream from behind me. I know that voice. 

"Ava!" I ran to the table as fast as I could to check what was going on with my daughter. 

————

Lauren's POV

I ran to Ava as fast as I could. The 4 year old kid was sobbing on the floor, cradling her wrist to her chest. Mani was beside her, wiping away the child's tears, and trying to hush her down.

"What happened? What hurts baby?" I kneeled down the floor, wiping the forming sweat off her forehead. 

"Ouchie Momma. Stop it, please. Por favor Momma." She was begging me to stop the pain. the tears won't stop pouring down her eyes. 

"Hey it's okay, Momma's here." I said kissing her. She tried to stand up, leaning on her hurt hand, earning another piercing scream and loud sobs from the little girl. A blonde haired girl sat beside me, holding a bag of ice.

"Hey honey, I'm DJ." The blonde girl was smiling at the sobbing child, stroking her arm for her to calm down. "I'm a doctor, and you know what makes that boo boo feel better? This one right here." the stranger said showing a bag of ice wrapped in a scarf. 

"Hey Ava, this Doctor would make you feel better okay? Come on, let's put ice on your hand." Mani said, as she was still sitting beside me. 

"Please make it stop. Please." Ava looked at the blonde stranger, eyes still filled with tears.

"Come on and let me help you up." The stranger held her hand to the toddler. "Does anything else hurt, or is it just your hand?" They sat down on the chair, and the blonde stranger, DJ, if I'm not mistaken, was holding the ice bag on Ava's wrist.

"I already called the ambulance, they'll be here in a few." An quite familiar voice said behind me. I didn't bother looking at her, because I need to focus on Ava. She was hurt, and it's my fault. I was busy talking to a stranger, and she got hurt.

"Thank you" I said not glancing at the stranger. The little kids sobs subsided, but she was still whimpering with pain. She most probably broke her wrist, from falling down the chair. 

"What happened Mani?" I said as I looked at Mani with a confused and frustrated face. 

"She wanted to go to you, and tell you about her eating and liking cheese and toast. You were taking so long, so she wanted to bring it to you. She caught her foot on her bag, and then she fell on the floor. I'm sorry Laur. I was watching her, but I was too slow to catch her." Mani said worriedly as she reached for my hand.