chapter 25

Matt and his hunters were ready to set out on their hunting trip. One of his buddies Ryan was out in the area earlier in the day. Found a good score on some apartments. Says he saw a grownup standing in the middle of the road wandering around.
Its near the Winfield sign on Cherry Grove. As they set out not Owen came to say good luck and bring back what they find. It was a rare thing for him to say. Cherry Grove is a place full of houses. A very big nest hopefully.
Since the disease broke out a month ago they were on a killing spree running between the road at the high school all the way to the elementary school. They didn't bother going across the bridge much because it is connected to the highway. Very rarely do they go that way for excitement.
For the last couple of weeks they sat at the school preparing for an expedition the like this.
Its bright and early in the morning. Nyla and a few girls have tagged along on the trip. Owen gave them blunt objects and drove some nails through some planks.
That Nyla and Ash like. The two tom girls of the apocalypse. The other girls had bats and spears.
Matt and his hunter's got bladed Wepons. All machetes and axes for them.
Matt made everyone going with him wear football gear and boots they took from a sports store. From the helmets all the way to the padding.
Nyla has never really seen this part of Winfield. She never got out much around this area. Preferred going to Huntington or Charleston malls instead of wandering the streets.
Everyone else has been here. Knows which way to go. Can pick out friends houses. Talk like they still live there and alive. Some were some weren't. Disease took everyone eighteen and above.
"Here we are." Claims Ryan walking into the center on the street. He took a quick scan of the houses. A grin grew on his face. "Everyone. Knock on the doors and run. See how many come out so we can jump them, yeah?"
"Nah they already saw us." Nyla pointed at the apartment windows. A face of a mother smashing her face against the glass.
"Ow, come on, Nyla. Why'd ya ruin the fun?" Ryan said turning to look at her and she shrugged smiling.
"Instead of bitching about not having fun lets go on and have it." Said Ash going down the street with her plank ready.
"She does have a valid point, Ryan. Lets go." Matt said running to catch up with Ash. They all went down the hill following after.
The mother came out with several others. Then came everyone out of that single apartment.
Matt and Ash were the first one's beating them into the pavement. The pure enjoyment of chasing down and killing the infected gave Matt so much of a rush he went into a frenzy. He is going like Samurai Jack.
Nyla used to watch that growing up. Seeing that man in a ponytail and white robe fighting monsters, made her want to take sword fighting lessons. She did for a while and eventually she stopped going. It was rare to find a teacher and training equipment at that time.
"Forget decapitating them. Just take the ears. Owen told me no more heads. He said the place looks like a voodoo ritual site." Matt said walking up to the next apartment. He kicked in the door and ran back out to the street.
Nobody came out. He began screaming swearwords to see if anyone came out but nobody did. The place was deserted.