chapter 15

"Nyla? Did you hear that? It sounded like someone opened the main door."
"Don't worry about it Krista. Probably Jamie going for her nightly walk." Nyla said rolling over on her mat.
"Im going to go with her. I can't sleep for some reason." Krista got up. Her back popped loudly stretching. She fummeled around in the dark and found her shoes and metal rod.
The building is cold and smells of dry wood that makes your throat parched. The light of the moon shine through the skylight. A single candle burned in the wall way.
Opening the door it creaked. At the entrance a man with a hammer. Behind him multiple people. She can only see that his face is clear but only has blood and a little rash on his left cheek. His head is shaved and his ear is slightly ripped.
Krista stood frozen at the sence. How did he get in and why does he have a hammer? Infected dont carry wepons. Run. Scream, call for help. She tried but the words notted up in her throat.
Jamie came out for her walk amd saw Krista standing there. "Aee you ok?" Saying it in a soft tone. No responce so she goes to look at where shes looking.
And there it is. The man standing in the door way. Waiting for the rest of his followers. Jamie screamed and pulled Krista back into the room.
"Wake up, we're under attack!" Jamie whaled and everyone jumped off the floor. They scrambled to get their stuff on and grab their wepons. Orders started coming from their leader Lacrisha. People began to take order and flooded out into the hall charging full speed at the intruders.
Lacrisha was first out having a fight with the man with a hammer. Her bat sparked at they collided. Such force was put in both. The others speared the grownups back out the door before they were able to notice whats happening.
The night air cold on their skin. The wind blow lightly around. Grownups hissing out and making gurgling noises.
Lacrisha having at the leader. He moves swiftly about dodging her attacks. A straight swing down and he jumped back and managed to say die.
Lacrisha became surprised that the man is able to speak. Her mind flourished of why he was able to speak. They normally dont. Then back to having no emotion.
A girl appeared behind him and jabbed the rod through his stomach. He stood there. Dropped his hammer and fell with a thud.
The two of them joined the fight outside but when they got there the mob was retreating into the night.
Nyla ran up to her. "Nobody died tonight. That was close. I can't believe they ran off though."
"Im happy they did. I killed the leader. Well this little tyke did." Lacrisha bent down to her hero. "Good job Gabby."
The girl stood there unable to believe she just killed someone. This was her first time doing it. Normally she goes out to distract the enemy. Killing a man. A leader who was attacking hers. It was instinct. She couldn't let her die.
All the sudden she felt sick to her stomach and puked onto the gravel. Dropped her stained rod beside her and let it all out. Never before has she felt so happy and sick at the same time.
Gabby is only seven years old. Lacrisha and her girls came wondering down from the poca high into town. She was safe there but didn't want be with the kids who were there. They made fun of her. In the end she wondered into the crowd without anyone noticing.
The kids in the town of Poca secured the whole area. Started planting crops everywhere. Had kids from the middle school as guards. Living strong and fighting hard.
"Gabby go lie down. We got it from here, ok sweetheart." Lacrisha said latting her back.
"No. I want to stay up and help out. Im not going anywhere." Gabby protested. She picked up her rod and held it like she was ready for war.