chapter 24

"Hi Jack." Xian runs up to Jack giving him a hug. "How was the mission?" She look over at the semi's and cars packed with food and everything. "Holly Macaroons that's for us?" Cheering happily.
Jack nods.
This is the first time anyone has seen her so cheerful since she arrived.
"Ow, and I got a surprise for you." Xian said looking up at him.
"What could you possibly surprise me with, Xian?" Jack messed with her head.
"Gibber!"  She calls out running at the school entrance. When she comes back she brings the boy he saved from the river.
His scraggy black hair cover loosely cover hus eyes. He is dressed in a white shirt thats to big for him and a pair of loose blue jeans. Standing infront of he he looks down shyly.
"Im sorry for causing you the trouble of saving me."
Jack bends down to his level. "Don't apologize. Dont even think about it. Your here and thats all that matters."
Gibber looks up at him to reveal his tears streaming down his cheeck. "Thank you." He throws a hug at him.
Xian stands there watching and Jack puts another hand out for her to join in. He feels responsible for the two of them know. Like he the father.
The two of them pull away. Jack stands back up and smiles at them. "Go have fun. I got unpacking to do."
Marcy is talking to Sky about the construction he is doin. About how he just tore a street down. He thought she was mad but ut turns out shes quite happy.
Daniel is pulling things out of the lead semi. A kid climbes up and helps him slide off a water powered generator.
The thing a the size of him. Two other strong ones come over and help take it inside. Marcy tell them to put that in the kitchen.
Soon everyone is working at unloading the trucks.
Food piling in the kitchen and pantry. Wepons pile up on the top floor of school in the back along wuth tanks. Bedding start crowding the gym floor, center school, and some classrooms. Wood and working supplies made it on top. It all took so long the sun was starting to go behind the mountains.
"Those kids really seem to like you, eh Jack?" Marcy sat down with him on the roof.
"Yea. Dont know why though. All I do is. I Dont even know what I do take make them like me." Jack began to smile. "I guess I'm just there for them. Gibber only likes me because I saved an didn't shun him.  Xian, I guess from just noticing her."
She looked over at the setting sun. Her face lit orange. "Im happy Xian likes you. I saved her but afterwards I didn't have time for her. More kids began to show up on the main road and I pulled who I could into the school. Lots were already here but." She sucks in her breath and lets it out. "They were busy making defenses. Dont take this the wrong way but I'm happy you all showed up. Especially you."
Jack goes silent. Does she like me? I know she told me not to take it the wrong way but what does she mean?
She looks over at him. "You took it the wrong way didn't you?"
"What do you mean wrong way?"
"Like. I like you as a friend. You can handle little kids better than I can. All I get is whines and complaints and whatever else. Im a war general not a babysitter. Look at you. You already father two kids." She exclaimed.
"They only like me because I give them attention."
Exactly. More than I can give them. You should be in charge of hell I dont know. You should just be everyone's dad the way you are."
Jack gave her the stupidest face he could give. "Me. A dad to all these kids you gotta be out of your mind. I may act like one to you but I ain't." He began to laugh. "You know I want to go to Washington to find out what's causing the disease. I dont want to leave but I need to. You want the state capitol. We can get you there if we can build an actual army."
There was a long silence.
"Jack. I really do want the capitol. I want this place to be better. Looking at all the hell on the streets makes me sick to my guts.  Makes me want to jump in the river like Gibber. It gives me so many emotions."
Jack stopped her where she's at and gave her a kiss. "Don't think about it right now. We are still just kids. Let tomorrow bring our problem and we can work it out, ok?"
Marcy looks stunned at whats just happened. "Ok."