Lin stood and rushed to Littlefoot. "Can't you stay for just a little while longer?"

Littlefoot shook her head. "Don't worry, Lin. Your baby is healthy and so are you. You have nothing to fear." Littlefoot's body was becoming less distinct and her voice less resonant. "Now listen carefully, Lin. Albus packed a portkey for you. He said you'd know it when you saw it."

"Where is it?"

"Albus didn't say." Littlefoot's body had become so unclear that she was little more than a faint shadow and her voice so faint it was barely audible. "I'd love to hug you, my dear, but we both know I can't. You give that precious child of yours a kiss from me." And she was gone, leaving Lindsay feeling desperately alone. Lin put her hand out to be sure that Littlefoot really was gone. The deathly cold that surrounds ghosts was gone. Lin and Nikki really were alone. The cottage became uncomfortably silent.

Lindsay was totally unprepared for Littlefoot's departure and the sense of isolation hit her hard. Lin hated being alone, but now she was feeling a different sort of loneliness than she had before. Now she had Nikki to care for and if something happened to her, he'd be totally helpless. Lin paced, ignoring her dinner.

Food supplies were running low and Lindsay dared not visit the Muggle market. Her last Muggle encounter nearly took Nikki's life. She presumed a solution would present itself in time, so she waited. Another few weeks passed and Lin was becoming restless. Her food supplies were almost gone; she only had enough for two or three days at the most. She had to do something, but didn't know what. She hadn't found the portkey yet and didn't know where it would take her. Albus obviously had a plan, but Lin didn't know what it was and that made her trepidatious.

There was one crate of food left, and it was half empty. Lin rummaged through it and was shocked to find potions supplies. The ingredients she found could produce two potions that were difficult to brew and one that was very dangerous to use. What was Albus thinking? Below the pile of potions ingredients lay a small unadorned box tied with a light-blue ribbon. This had to be the portkey Littlefoot spoke of. Albus knew Lin's favorite color was light blue. Fearing to touch it, Lin used her wand to open the box and there inside sat Lin's old melted cell phone. The phone had to be the portkey, which meant the box was safe to touch. She put the lid back on the box and carried it to the kitchen table with the potions supplies.

It was late in the evening when Lin finally went to bed. She tossed and turned for a couple of hours before finally falling asleep. The next thing Lin was aware of was a sense of familiarity and a strong feeling of warmth and security. She had the impression of having been transported somewhere, and she opened her eyes to see her new surroundings.

#

Lin was in her library, or rather Mr. Roberts' library. She smelled the scents of old books and cigar smoke. The wood that surrounded the room was old, dark, and rich-looking. She had the distinct feeling of Mr. Roberts' presence being nearby.

"Good morning, Lindsay," came the familiar low voice of Mr. Roberts with his precise diction and cut-glass accent. Lin turned to see him standing straight-backed without the aid of a walking stick. He looked much healthier than he had when she'd known him. Lin flung her arms around him. His body felt solid and strong in her arms, and he smelled like the spicy leather aftershave he wore in his healthier days. Lin drank in the fragrance. He wore his favorite brown sport coat, and it fit him properly. He was so ill when she'd known him that the coat hung loosely on his wasted frame. "Stop touching me, Lindsay. I'm a gentleman." Mr. Roberts' sense of humor offended most people, and for good reason, but Lin laughed and released him.

"I've missed you so much," said Lin, her eyes moist with tears.

"And I you," said Mr. Roberts. "But you have to let me go, Lindsay. I lived a long and happy life. While it's true that disease took me away, time would've done so too."