part 16

You'd never gotten high before, and you had no idea that it would have made you feel so tired yet so active. You coughed and gagged for a moment after taking a hit for a short three seconds. Murdoc pat your back and let out a hearty chuckle. He snatched the remaining two grams back, put it out on his neck, and stuffed it back into his pocket. You looked over to him and couldn't help but laugh. His eyes looked heavy and he had an idiotic smile plastered on his face. He was obviously much higher than you were. He had taken about ten hits, while you had only taken about 2 and a half. The half time being when you took a single puff and coughed for what seemed like ten minutes. Murdoc squinted at you and moved his hair from his forehead with his left hand. "What?" He asked, leaning in as he spoke. You leaned back in response. "We're high." You responded, trying to be quiet about it, although there was no one around. Murdoc snorted and dropped his hair, letting it fall back down to cover his forehead and the tops of his eyes. "Yah, we are. Not really tha' best idea ta' smoke roight before breakin' into a boat but..." he shrugged and faced out to the ocean. "Oops!" You exclaimed, jokingly shoving him to the side. He sat still though, and just continued to smile and stare out at the vast sea. The stars decorated the water, the reflections shining brighter than what was showing up in the sky. As the waves lapped over each other, the reflections from the stars danced in a waltz to the beat of the crashing waves against the wooden stands that held up the pier. You didn't want to stray so far from your car at first, but Murdoc really urged you to go look at the ocean. He bragged on it, saying it was gorgeous at night. And now you realized he had every right to say so.

You swung your legs over and let them hang down, the water still a few feet below your shoes. Part of you wanted to jump in and swim down to see if there was any buried treasure, but the better half of you knew that it was just the drugs talking. As time passed, you began to sober up, but you were still excruciatingly drowsy. You looked over to Murdoc and smiled crookedly. "Are you still high?" Murdoc turned his whole body to you as if he couldn't just turn his head, and he nodded. That damned smile still plastered on his face. "I'm not as high anymore." You stated, beginning to ramble. "Drugs are weird. Hell, this whole week is weird. I shouldn't trust you, you kidnapped me. I don't know why I'm still here with you, like honestly!" You could see his smile begin to fade and morph into that of a scowl. But you kept going on. "I mean, yeah, you're Murdoc fucking Niccals. You're famous. But, it really makes you think just how famous you are if you have to rob small, family owned music shops. Right? I'm sure you were famous during your album but... is that why you so desperately crave to start up a new band? So you can have a new fame? A new start?" He didn't say anything, although you expected him to. He didn't look angry, he didn't look embaressed, he looked sad. Like it wasn't his fault he was this way. "I mean, this is just the drugs talking. Don't mind me." You mumbled, realizing you should've shut your mouth from the gitgo.

Murdoc shook his head and rose up to his feet. "You're right, luv. I'm a bloody idiot for wantin' to abduct you and try ta' befriend you afta' ruining your damned life." Silence fell again, and you remained sitting on the wooden pier, staring up into the eyes of a man who changed your life. For better or for worse, you had yet to determine. You finally broke the silence with a sigh and stood up yourself. There was nothing but the sound of the waves crashing into the dock, and the faint sound of cars honking from miles away. "You're not an idiot, Murdoc. I don't really think you're like that... I just... I was ranting. I'm sorry." Murdoc took a moment to let your apology sink in. He then extended his arm and placed his hand firmly down on your shoulder. "No need to apologize, luv. It's alroight. Let's just eh... drop it for now. And come down from this high by watchin' the ocean, and eventually watchin' the sunrise." You cleared your throat and nodded, sitting back down and facing out to the sea, Murdoc doing the same soon after.

You didn't remember falling asleep, but your face felt a bit burnt. You opened your eyes and glanced around. You had slept half way through the day; and you had a sunburn. You shot up and looked around. Murdoc was laying down next to you, his arm extended out in your direction. You looked over and checked to make sure your luggage was still there, which it thankfully was. You let out a deep breath and let yourself calm down. You looked out at the ocean and squinted. You had missed the next boat out, maybe even the one after that. "Fuck..." you mumbled, scooting over to Murdocs side. "Murdoc, wake up." You said, nudging him in order to get him up faster. Murdoc took a long breath through his nose, and let it out quickly. "Ah'm up... what happened?" He asked, acting like it wasn't obvious that you two had slept when you weren't supposed to. "We missed the bloody ship." You hissed. Murdoc thought for a moment and then shrugged. "That's fine. We can wait." You were surprised he was so chill about missing the one thing he had been looking forward to after so many days on the road. "Yah look a little pink, luv." You touched your face and winced. Your cheeks were definitely sun burnt. "Yeah... good thing it isn't too hot though. I might have gotten sick with all this damn clothes on." You tugged on your shirt and let out a sigh. "Sorry I woke up in a pissy mood. I was just looking forward to getting out of here. Y'know?" Murdoc nodded and slowly sat up next to you. "Mmhm, I was too. Still am. It'll take probably a few more hours, dependin' on where the boat comes to pick up passengers. It obviously isn't 'ere." You looked around and nodded in agreement. The two of you would've been deemed hobos and kicked off the property, or stomped to death. Either way, it wouldn't have been good. "I can't believe I fell asleep. I don't even remember laying down. What the hell." You massaged your temples and shut your eyes. "Yeah, you fell asleep after I did I'm assumin'. You were awake and staring up at the stars when I shut my eyes to sleep. Didn't wanna bother yah. You looked like you were thinkin'." You shook your head, your eyes still shut. "I wasn't."

"Well, luv, do ya wanna change into some more comfortable clothes? Maybe clothes that don't have sweat and smoke on 'em?" You opened one eye and looked to your suitcase. "Turn around and close your eyes." Murdoc nodded and did as you said. You stood up with shaky legs and stretched up towards the sky, then stumbling over to your suitcase. You unzipped it and pulled out your dress. "I want to look presentable for when we get on the ship, so I'm putting on my dress. You're changing too, right?" You asked, turning around to check that he wasn't facing you. And he wasn't. "Yeah, I will afta' you do." "Mmhm." You hummed in reply, stripping and folding your clothes neatly back into your suitcase. You slipped on the dress and zipped it back up. "Done! You can turn around now and get dressed." Murdoc stood up, still facing the other way, and then spun around on his heel. His eyes met with yours, and your heart skipped a beat. His lips parted slightly, and his cheeks suddenly became as pink as yours. "Sorry I uh... yeah. I'll change now." He mumbled, quickly turning back around to face his suitcase. You smiled softly to yourself and sat back down, looking back out at the beautiful waves yet again.