part 13

Once the two of you were back in the car, Murdoc grabbed the map and unfolded it. "Let's see..." He narrowed his eyes and traced his finger across the roads printed on the map. "The ocean isn't too far, surprisingly. Might take three or four more days, depending on how often we stop." He folded it back up neatly and placed it on your seat. He slid his hands up onto the steering wheel and sighed. "Could'ya maybe drive tonight? So I can rest? Ah'm just kinda startin' to ache, luv." You thought for a moment and then nodded. "Alright. But three to four days? That means no more places to stop and eat, right? Just drive throughs?" Murdoc nodded but then paused to think, and shook his head. "We'll 'ave to stop to maybe get some more money after a while." You curled your lip and looked down. He was right. You didn't like the fact that you two had to steal to live, but you'd grow to accept it over time. Hopefully. You tugged on the collar of your hoodie and cleared your throat. "Mind turning around? I'm going to change into my new pajamas." Murdoc thought for a moment and then shrugged. "I mean, luv, it's only about noo-" you cut him off by grabbing the pajamas defiantly out of your back. "I'm well aware of the time, Niccals. I just really need to wear some loose, comfy clothes. And then I promise I'll drive for a few hours." Murdoc nodded and quickly turned to face the other way.

You pulled your hoodie off and slipped on your new shirt. It felt so good to take off that heavy jacket, stained with blood and bad memories. You tossed it to the back seat and took a moment to just feel the soft cotton on your skin. You sighed and smiled softly. You then untied your shoes and left them on the floor board, tucking your white, no show socks inside of them. And then was the hard part. You groaned and unbuttoned your pants. "How the hell am I gonna do this..." you mumbled. "Lean the seat back, luv~" Murdoc replied. You whipped your head over to look at him, and to your surprise, he wasn't looking back. You shrugged and leaned your seat back. "Alright, thank you." After struggling momentarily, you slid off your jeans and tossed them to the back seat. And holy hell did it feel good to just sit in your panties. The air finally reached your legs, and you let out a sigh of relief. "Alright Muddz, lemme just slide on these shorts and I'm done." He grunted in agreement, and you slipped on the cotton shorts. You leaned the seat back up and cleared your throat as a sign that you were done. Murdoc spun back around and looked you up and down. He narrowed his eyes and raised his brows, and you felt your face heat up. "Wh-what are you looking at?" You questioned, a bit anxious for his answer. "Ohh, nothing. Just admiring youuu...rrrr new cute pajamas. The color suits you." You pulled your head back a bit in shock of his response. "Oh! Thank you!" You exclaimed. Murdoc nodded and then opened his car door.

"Why are you getting out?"
"Your turn ta' drive, (y/n)! And my time ta' get some fockin sleep..."

You rolled your eyes and sighed, stepping out of the car. "Alright, that's fair I guess." You said as you passed him, both of you going to the opposite sides of the car. He hopped in and immediately leaned his seat back, not even bothering to buckle his seat belt. You curled your lip as you turned the car on. "Seat belt." You stated, glancing over at him. He groaned and rolled over to face you, his eyes twinkling like diamonds. "Do I 'ave to? I'm a grown man!" He seemingly got louder with each word, obviously urging to defend himself for something not worth an argument. "We aren't going anywhere til' you buckle that fuckin' belt, Muddz." He rolled his eyes and lazily reached over and pulled it down to the lock. He clicked it in and then rolled back onto his back. "Aight now, (y/n). Can we get a move on things?" You felt your face heat up, and you put the car in reverse. You turned around to make sure you weren't hitting anything. When you were clear, you pulled out of the spot, put the car in drive, and go back onto the interstate. "Sorry I care," you grumbled. Your face was warm, but not the normal warmness that was brought from being around Murdoc. You felt frustrated. Murdoc sighed and rolled over to face the other way. "Ah' know... ah' care 'bout you, too..." He mumbled, so you barely heard what he said. You just imagined it being something sarcastic or bratty, so you shrugged it off.

As the sun set and the moon rose, the highway became a bit less clustered. All though, of course it was still busy, there wasn't nearly as much frustrating traffic as there usually was. You kept your eyes on the road, occasionally glancing at Murdoc to make sure he was okay; and he was. He remained on his side, turned over and facing away from you. Every so often you'd hear him shift his legs, which you imagined was him moving around in a dream. You sighed. It was quiet without him awake, and it was kind of a good break. As much as you didn't like driving at night, alone, you knew that if something came up you could wake Murdoc and he'd help you. It was good to have someone to trust. Even if he was a convict who had uprooted you from everything you loved.

You were driving a bit above the speed limit, but everyone else was, so it was fine. You were wide awake and thankful for it, you could never really drive while drowsy. It gave you anxiety. As the night carried on, the roads got clearer, and you picked up speed. You were cruising down the highway, passing cars and switching lanes, when a light in your rear view mirror caught you eye. Your heart stopped. The red and blue flashed back and forth in a blinding mix. Your heart pounded against your chest and you instinctively slowed down. The cop car was a few lanes over and a few cars back, but you couldn't help but feel as if they were coming for Murdoc. And you were currently acting as the getaway driver. "Murdoc," you whispered, hoping to wake him up carefully. No response. "Murdoc Niccals!" You hissed, finally getting a reaction out of him. He looked over his shoulder and at you, and your eyes met with his for just a moment. "What the bloody 'ell do ya want, (y/n)?" He was cranky, but you didn't care. "There's a cop car, it's lights are on... I... I got scared."

Murdoc sighed and sat up, leaning his seat back up with him. "Luv, don't worry. We're far away from any town we robbed. They're after someone else, trust me."
"But I was speeding..."
"Everyone on tha' highway speeds. Don't worry."

You nodded and leaned over the steering wheel. "If you say so,"
Murdoc reached over and gently put his hand on your shoulder. Your heart slowed back down to a normal pace and your muscles relaxed.

"I know so."