xvii

kevin.

THE SOUND OF CRASHING FOLLOWED BY A SQUEAK ENSUES IN THE BACK ROOM.  A few minutes later, the redhead slithers out from behind the door with panicked doe-eyes.  She says sorry and lets us know she has to wait for the manager to get to the shop.  I look at Nat.  He shrugs and hums.  I reciprocate the action and walk away into an isle of wood shelves, which held small glass jars with cacti in them.

I'm distracted by the plants when the door of the Loft bursts open quickly, creating a loud sound that cuts through the quiet atmosphere. It scared me half the death, and when I look around the shelves I see a red-faced, out of breath Edd walking into the Loft. He walks past Nat and smiles before walking into the back room. A few moments later, he comes back out with mine and Nat's bouquets.

"Will that be all, sir?"

"These, too," Nat answers.  He has a familiar, flirtatious smile resting on his lips--the same smile I've seen him give to plenty of other poor cashiers or underclassmen.  His charm is intimidating but endearing, and I'm glad to see that Edd doesn't fall for it.  Instead, he keeps his eyes on the flowers, quickly cutting off an inch of the stems of the sunflowers before he wraps the very bottom in a wet paper towel and pink plastic. When he finishes, he hands the flowers to Nat and says, "I am so sorry for the delay. The girl who helped you is new as of today."

Nat smiles and says something I don't really hear, but it seems to make Edd blush.  I take a plant from the shelf I'm standing at and walk up to the counter.

I set the little cactus down, looking at Edd.  "Having fun without me?" I ask, offering a small smile.

"Oh! Hello," Edd says happily. It makes me feel good.

His reaction makes me smile, and I don't know why, but I'm happy his attention is on me now.  "What's up, Edd?"

"Just--Well, just working!" He stammers, a gentle blush running across his cheeks and over his nose.  "How about you?"

"Wait," Nat interrupts.  He looks at me, Edd, then back at me with his finger pointed and then asks, "You guys already know each other?"

"Yeah," I smile at Edd.  "Sort of."

Edd nods and looks at the floor.  I notice him rubbing his forearm and tapping his foot nervously on the floor.  A few seconds later, he excuses himself and heads to the back room, trying to hide a smile behind his hand.

"Well he's kinda cute, don't you think?" Nat asks when Edd's gone.

I look at him and smile.  "He's entertaining."

"I like him," he suggests.  

"Like--like-like him?"  I ask.

"Jealous?" Nat winks.

I roll my eyes.  "Yeah, right."

"I know you saw the way he looked at you.  The way he blushed and looked away like some cliché romance novel."

"You're seeing things," I say.  I look at the door Edd went through and ponder what Nat said for a second.  "Also, I have a girlfriend."

"That's never stopped anyone from getting a new lover..."

Nat knows after I glare at him that obviously that's not an option, but the thought stays in the back of my mind.  I don't know why, but I take a second to imagine myself with Edd.

When Edd comes back out, he's with the redhead.  She stands next to him as he looks at the handwritten receipt she wrote, watching him put the prices into the old-fashioned cash register.  He's explaining what each button does, calling her Natalie.