x

edd.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY I'M SO TIRED. Nerves, maybe? Socially exhausted? I'm unsure exactly, but when I wake up it's dark outside.

"Eddy?" I ask into the darkness of my bedroom.

"Mm."

"What time is it?"

The brightness of his phone illuminates the room as he checks. "Almost six-thirty."

"Six-thirty?" I ask. It takes a moment for the time to settle in before I sit up and turn on my lamp. "Six-thirty!"

"Double D," Eddy groans, covering his eyes with his sleeve. "Why are you yelling?"

"We were supposed to leave at five, were we not?" I ask, getting up from my bed. I walk into the bathroom connected to my bedroom and take off my beanie.  "I can't believe you let me sleep in for so long!"

"But you were sleeping so well," Eddy says from my bed. "I figured you needed it."

I sigh, turning on the sink's water. "Now we're going to be late."

"I prefer the term, 'fashionably late'."

"Oh, is that so? I can imagine that's what you used in high school as well?"

I hear Eddy laugh loudly from the bedroom as I brush my teeth and I smile. With the toothbrush in my mouth, I stand in the doorway of the bathroom and look at Eddy. He's standing now, fixing his belt buckle. I chuckle and put my hair into a small ponytail.

"When should we leave?"

I spit and shrug. "Whenever you want. After all, you're the expert of being 'fashionably late' aren't you?"

Eddy chuckles and walks into the bathroom. "How about we catch a bite to eat at that new vegan restaurant a few blocks away?"

"I would love some chili..."

"I hear they have the best vegan food around," Eddy says, standing from the bed.  "Shall we, then?"

I take a breath in, thinking, and let it all out slowly.

Smiling, I say, "How can I refuse you?"

The restaurant that Eddy took me to was called Leafy Greens. It was very modern with its large blackboard full of special items and hardwood floors, and the atmosphere seemed lively. After the beautiful hostess sat us, we were greeted by a fair-skinned Asian man in a tight black button-up accompanied by small black earrings in his ears and thick auburn hair.

"Hello, my name is Chris, and I'll be your server tonight," he says with a smile, placing two glasses of water in front of us. He hands us menus and leaves us to decide.  When he comes back, he takes our orders and gives Eddy the coffee he asked for.

"One bill or two for you gentlemen?" Chris asks.

"One," I say. "And hand it to me, please."

Chris smiles at me and walks away. He smiles a lot. I appreciate that.

"You know you're not paying for me, right?"

I laugh and shake my head. "Whatever keeps your pride intact, Eddy."

He chuckles and sits back in the booth. When he spreads his legs out wider, I can feel his feet hardly touching mine.

I chuckle and fix my posture.

"How's your job going?" I ask.