xlix

kevin.

After we ate, we went to the nearby farmers market. I wanted to talk to Edd about last night, but I can't find a good time with Eddy around us. I feel bad that Eddy doesn't know about what Chris has done to Edd if he doesn't know, but of course, it's Edd's decision to let people know. And it's not like he let me know anyway. I just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

While I watched Edd look at the vegetables, I think about yesterday. The tears on his face, his red eyes. I wonder how he's feeling now. Is he sad? Scared?

"How does this look?" He asks me at the butcher's stand. He points to a pile of pork chops.

I smile. He's so cute. "It's good, a little expensive. I don't know if you want to pay too much for only a few pounds of meat."

"Oh, okay. I don't know much about these things," he laughs nervously.

"It's okay. It's cute."

My heart ached when I said that, and I saw the color in Edd's face change from his usual pale state to completely beet red. I quickly try to change the subject.

"So, where's Eddy?" I ask.

He falters for a second, thinking. "I'm not sure. Maybe he's shopping a store across the street--he hates food shopping."

After we pay for the meat, I suggest we go look at clothes as well. Of course, he's there, looking at old pairs of pants.

"Eddy, we bought the food," Edd says. "You know, for the apartment?"

"Thanks for your help," I smirk.

"Yeah, yeah, I know, but I finished buying what I wanted." Without looking up at us, Eddy lifted a bag full of junk food and small bags of grape leaf wraps.

"Really?" Edd asks. "Cookies?"

"They're vegan," he says happily. We decided to look at the clothes since we finished food shopping. Nobody had classes today, so we had the whole day to do whatever. I stayed with Edd as he searched through the shirt racks. Sometimes he'd find a shirt, sigh, and then put it back on the rack.

"Hey," I said, grabbing his hand. "I like that shirt. You should try it on."

"Oh, really?" He looks at the shirt he put back--a royal blue tee with the Colorado flag on it--and keeps it. After a few more minutes, I'd helped him gather a nice shopping basket full of shirts and a few pairs of pants.

"I'm going to try these on," he says quietly to me.

"I want to come," I smile. When he gives me a strange look, I say, "I know you won't like how the clothes look, so I want to supervise."

Edd laughs. "Excuse me? Supervise? I am a grown man, thank you!"

"And yet you need supervision," I say. "Come on!"

At the dressing rooms, I wait outside as he tries on clothes.

Edd groans from inside.

"This doesn't look good," he says loudly.

"I'll be the judge of that," I say.

Slowly, Edd unlocks the door and comes out of the room. The first shirt is a little big, white with the words GOLF: if it goes to the left it's a blank, if it goes to the right it's a blank, and if it goes straight it's a miracle.

"You like golf?" I ask.

"No," he says. "That's why I'm a little cautious to purchase it. What do I do if someone asks me if I like golf?"