xv

edd.

I KNEW WHAT EDDY WAS GOING TO SAY BEFORE HE EVEN OPENED HIS MOUTH.  He gave me a sly smile and bit his lip, staring at me with curious eyes.  It's only a matter of seconds until he asks:

"So... How was your night?"

"Fine," l say, smiling as I turn my gaze from the window to his eyes. "Yours?"

"It was okay. Got slapped though," he whimpered, holding his cheek. He looked at me and pouted, asking, "Kiss it for me?"

I rolled my eyes and pushed him away gently, but I can't help smiling. "How repulsive."

Eddy laughed and put his arm around me. "You don't mean that."

"Don't I?"

"You know you love me," he states happily.

I kiss my fingertips and tap his cheek lightly with them. "You probably deserved it."

He nods cheekily. "Yes, I did."

A scoff escapes my lips before I ask, "Did you dance all night?"

"Most of it," he sighs. "The rest of it I spent in the kitchen with a lovely lady named Mary Jane."

I nod without saying anything. He told me he wasn't going to do any drugs tonight, but I'm not necessarily mad if he did; I don't have any right to boss him around, do I?

"That was really her name," Eddy chuckles. "Cool, right?"

I hum and shake my head. When the car stops, Eddy and I both thank the driver and get out of the car.  I stumble at first, but despite that, I've almost completely sobered up. Walking up to my apartment, I pull out my keys and open the door. I breathe in the familiar scent of my home and walk to my room. Eddy takes his shoes off at the door and follows me into the bedroom.

"I'm sorry about the guest room," I say as I brush my teeth. 

"S'fine," he mumbles. He falls onto my bed without taking off his jeans, making me chuckle. I take my place next to him in the queen-sized bed. My eyes glance over Eddy's serine face, creating a feeling of bubbling happiness in my stomach. I feel at peace sleeping next to Eddy; he's done a lot to help me, which I've learned to appreciate after all of our years of friendship. Sleeping with him now even reminds me of our childhood. We've had dozens of sleepovers together as children, just Ed, Eddy and I of course, and all throughout high school when Eddy was too messed-up to go home, or I got too bad to be alone. We always went to each other. He's my best friend, a third of our lovely trio, and one of the most important people to me. Plus, he isn't a touchy person--a trait which I very much appreciate.

"Good night, Eddy," I say. My whisper feels like a shout in the quiet bedroom.

"Wait, Edd," Eddy says drowsily. "I want you to tell me about your night."

"But it's two o'clock in the morning," I groan.

Eddy chuckles as he turns to face me.  "I was surprised to see you drinking."

I smile, closing my eyes. "I wasn't planning to.  I felt bad for telling you not to do anything bad, but then I ended up doing the same...But I really wanted to impress him, for some reason."