i

edd.

NOT MANY MEN WORK IN A FLOWER SHOP, but I find a certain peace in being around the beautiful flora that surrounds me inside of The Loft. After all, flowers are a... vice for my anxiety.

The florist's I work for are two elderly women who live together above the small store.  The shop on the bottom floor is nice and simple: dark barn wood walls with stainless steel lamps hanging down from the tall ceiling; thin metal shelves painted white and buffed on the edges are spread in aisles throughout the store, holding different kinds of plants.  It's usually nice and busy, since we're placed between a few antique shops, a popular bakery and a creperie, but today is a nice, calm day. 

Today, I'm spending my time at the front, fixing the bouquets and flower pots in the display window.  This is my happiest place, sitting in the window organizing the flowers under the beautiful, bright sunlight.  It's almost the end of August, meaning that Ms. Hirsch and Ms. Scarborough want the display to be filled with Snakeroot, Sweet Alyssum, Celosia, Michaelmas Daisy, and Goldenrod.  I step back to look at my masterpiece.

It needs something... I think, closing my eyes and putting my finger to my chin.  But what is it?  What is it, what is it, what is it?

"Edd, sweetie!" I hear from the front desk.

"Y-Yes, Ms. Hirsch?" I ask, distracted.  When she doesn't answer, I wipe my soil-covered hands on a rag and walk out to the front. When I get out front, I'm surprised to see my boss carrying a large box of various autumn-colored indoor plants. I hurry to snatch it from her, saying, "Here, let me take that for you!"

"Thank you, Edd," she smiles, wiping a stray piece of grey hair behind her ear. "Would you mind planting the new aloe vera after setting these on the shelves, please? They're already getting too big for their pots."

I hum and set the box on the counter. "So soon! I feel like it was just yesterday that I was planting them."

"Oh, Edd, you take such good care of my plants," Ms. Hirsch sighs. "If only there were more people who cared that much."

I smile and start to make my way to the backroom before my boss clears her throat.

"Oh, Edd, before you go back, I must tell you I'm very impressed with the display!  Have you finished?"

"Not yet," I sigh, whiping sweat from my forehead.  "I feel like it needs a little something extra, but I can't figure out what I want."

Ms. Hirsch hums, glancing behind me at the display.  "Why don't you try adding some Heliopis--or maybe some Iberis!"

A lightbulb lights up in my head.  "Do we have any white ones?"

"Check the white isle, next to the Irises"--I walk away to find the isle--"It's the tall plant with white blooms among a bush of light green leaves!"

"Okay!  Thank you!"  Picking up a few pots of the flower, I put them in a bouquet of orange Helenium and Sweet Alyssum.  I stand back proudly, my hands on my hips.  Not bad, Ms. Hirsch.

As I stare at my plants, my mind wanders quickly to a person passing the store.  His fiery red hair catches my eye, distracting me from the bouquet.  He's a handsome college student, somehow familiar-looking, wearing all black with an apron over his shoulder and earbuds in his ears.  I walk to the window, trying desperately to watch him as far as I can.  I sigh after he's out of sight.

I should take care of the aloe, I decide.

When I make it to the back, the bells hanging to the front door ring faintly. I don't hear Ms. Hirsch greet the customer, so I go out to greet the customer.

"Good evening, sir," I smile, crossing my hands in front of me and taking a deep breath.  "Looking for anything in particular?"

The man pays no attention to me, but I assume he simply didn't see me.  I move the aloe to the front counter and begin planting again, waiting for the customer to check out.

He looks around the store for about ten minutes, staring at all of the flowers and bouquets without making a decision.

Painting on my customer service smile again, I venture over to the man and ask, "May I help you?"

He looks at me, gasping and dropping the diffenbachia pot that was in his hands.