Chapter Thirty Six: Break Up To Make Up

36| Cole

~*~ Break Up To Make Up ~*~

            “Are you sure you want to do this?” Tyler asked Jerry nervously, adjusting his tie. I laughed as a scared little Tyler adjusted his outfit for the hundredth time. Jess and I were sitting on the futon while Jerry helped dress Tyler for meeting his parents. Two weeks after Valentine’s Day, Jerry had come out. I had stood by his side, ready to beat the shit out of anyone messing with him, but nothing happened. Sure, some guys on the Basketball team felt a little uncomfortable, and some made some dick jokes, but they never harassed him or beat him up. In all honesty, I don’t think anyone cared. Sure, his family and friends back home were probably surprised or had something to say, but no one here gave to shits. Tyler, however, was not comfortable coming out yet. He wasn’t ashamed of his relationship and it was clear that he loved Jerry; he was scared of his father.

            “Yes, babe, I told you, my parents will love you.” I expected them to act feminine, but they acted like the pigheaded guys I knew in the beginning of the year. Tyler frowned at his response and wiped his hands on his pants.

            “You’re bringing a guy home, babe. I don’t think they’ll be over the moon.”

            “My parents aren’t exactly ashamed, Ty. Sure, they were shocked and I’m not sure if they agree with it, but they support me anyway. Maybe you’ll be surprised with your father.” Jerry suggested. Tyler scoffed at him and adjusted his tie again.

            “My dad will kill me.” He answered. “Cole knows him.” Jerry glanced at me and I shrugged.

            “From my personal experience, I don’t know if he’ll accept him right away, but again, he could surprise us all.”

            “I don’t understand why it’s such a big deal to begin with.” Tyler groaned.

            “You’re going to be fine, Tyler. Tackle one thing at a time. When you feel more comfortable holding Jerry’s hand in public and letting other’s know that you two are a thing, then tell your dad. If you tell your dad, first you may pull away from Jerry because you’re scared and upset. We all know that you two cannot live without each other and you’ll both mope around for days.” Jess spoke up. My eyes widened at her, surprised that she knew exactly what to say.

            “I do not mope.” Tyler argued.

            “You moped that whole time you screwed things up with Jerry.” She laughed. “Face it, you’re scared. There’s nothing wrong with that, just tackle one thing at a time. No one said you have to do it all at once. It’s not a sport or an exam; it’s your life, push yourself slowly.” Jess advised.

            “Fucking mother wisdom over here.” Tyler muttered under his breath, causing us to laugh at him.

            “Seriously, dude, just get through tonight.”

            “If I can.” He groaned.

            “My parents aren’t even that bad!” Jerry argued. “You just have to watch out for my grandma, no doubt she’ll ask about your dick.” He shrugged. Tyler’s eyes popped out of his head and his face turned red.

            “What kind of family do you have?”

            “Tyler, dude, calm your tits, it will be fine.” Jerry sighed. “Look, I wouldn’t have you meet them if I thought they were going to go ape shit, alright?”