C H A P T E R O N E || J E S S

|➳| I T  S T A R T E D  W I T H  A  K I S S |➳|

            I wasn't the type who went to parties or drank much; in fact, on any normal Friday night I would curl in my dorm room bed and watch romantic comedies fantasizing about a life I would never have. Personally, I didn't mind it much. I found it comfortable and safe to distance myself from others; keeping away kept me safe from getting hurt, and that was the last thing I needed. As depressing as it sounds, these Friday nights get me through the week. My dorm floor left early in the night and did not return until the wee hours of the morning, leaving me peace and quiet to imagine a life I deserved.

            Unfortunately, this Friday didn't go as planned.

            I drank my soda as I stood against the wall, watching as the sorority girls flipped their hair and the guys who pretty much defined douchebag. I stood against the wall in disgust as the girls all looked and acted the same; fake blonde and stupid. Compared to those wonderful girls, I looked like Virgin Mary herself. If my lack of beauty didn't factor in itself, it could possibly be my long jeans and my leather jacket, hiding any possible curve I could have. Due to my lack of 'hotness', no one paid attention to me tonight, or any night for that matter, making the night drag on.

            I stared at the group of girls again, wondering how they became so self-centered and concerned about sex rather than their education. Honestly, it was sad that girls had to show so much skin and smell like a dead grandmother to get a douchebag to notice them. Although I shouldn't judge because they get more attention than I do, I'd rather a loner than blend in with the crowd.

            Groaning, I pursed my lips against the cup, hoping that I would eventually find a way out of this party. My best friend Riley had ditched me long ago, following the boy she was hopelessly in love with who didn't give two craps about her. I tried not to tell her how much he didn't care, knowing deep down she knew it as well. If Riley looked hard enough, she'd find someone who cared for her more than that scumbag. Riley was beautiful; there was no way that one kid would be her only shot at love.

            Shouting from the living room disrupted my thoughts as two guys' chugged down a giant pitcher of beer. The crowd drunkenly cheered them on, happily approving the guy's lack of common sense. I sighed in annoyance, finishing the rest of my soda. There was nothing I wanted more than to head back to my dorm where I was comfortable, and relax.

            "You know, you're not going to have any fun if you keep standing there like a lump." Riley giggled as she appeared out of nowhere. She pulled her long black hair in to a pony-tail and her brown eyes looked at me in annoyance as I did my best to blend in with the wall.

            "I don't really care; I just want to leave." I whined, ignoring the fact that she kept shooting daggers at me. I knew exactly what would come out of her mouth.

            You're a party pooper.

            You never do anything.

            Why can't you just let go and have fun?

            Staying at this party kept my insanity rising and soon I would snap. I needed to leave this chaos and if Riley didn't leave me alone, I'd leave without her.

            "Jess, you can't keep isolating yourself in the room; it's not healthy." She scolded. "Your college experience should be the best and that means going out and meeting people, mostly doing stupid shit." She shrugged as she snatched my cup and poured a large amount of vodka in it.

            "Riley, I don't-" I started, trying to take away the alcohol from her. She chugged most of it down and blanched at the bitter flavor.

            "When do you think Jason will notice me?" She asked, glancing sadly at the tool she followed around all night. I followed her glance and watched as he grinded on another girl, barely even bothering to hold him back as he felt her up. I looked at Riley's hurt expression and tried not to roll my eyes.

            "He's an ass." I deadpanned. I tried to be reasonable with her; really, I did. She has had this crush on him for a while and it seems to be one sided. Sometimes he takes an interest in her, but then he ditches her and lets her fall flat on her face.

            "Of course you do." She rolled her eyes and finished her cup.

            "It's true, Riley. He treats you like crap and doesn't give you the time of day. He's over there practically fucking another girl! Why would you want someone like that?" I asked flabbergasted.

            "Life isn't like your movies, Jess. Some day you have to wake up and go for what you want." She snipped. I opened my mouth to argue, but honestly, I had nothing to say. Yes, she was right, but it wasn't as if I lived with my head in the clouds believing that Prince Charming was currently fighting a war to find me.

            "Whatever." I mumbled.

            "Look, they mentioned spin the bottle. We should go play." She urged, grabbing my arm and dragging me across the room. I glanced back at the lonely wall, wishing that I were just a fly on the wall.

▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄   

            I sat around in the dumb circle, hoping that I could refrain myself from stabbing these people. A couple of guys who lived on my floor sat around me and the hoes that they always ended up with sat across them. Directly across my view sat the most attractive yet most idiotic guy I have ever met in my life.

            Cole Jefferson.

            Cole inherited good gifts and he knew it all too well. His genes granted him insanely attractive good looks and perfect skin; it almost killed me. His kept his warm brown hair at a short trim but long enough to run his hands through it. His hazel eyes had girls melting at his feet and his signature smirk sent them over the room. Cole was intoxicating and he knew it. He used his good looks and football status to his advantage. He has some idea that I'll give him answers because he's hot. Girls around him sat so close to him, they might as well have been on top of him. Instead of soaking up the attention, Cole seemed too drunk to even realize they were there, or he just ignored them.

            "Jess, it's your turn." Riley whispered in my ear, pointing to the empty vodka bottle they spun around. I felt my heart in my throat and tried not to blush. I wondered if Cole noticed I just checked him out and then I silently prayed that everyone was too drunk to realize they would make out with me.

            "I don't want-" Riley didn't take my arguing and spun for me. I watched nervously as it spun, passing all of these people, I prayed it didn't land on. Who would want to kiss me anyway? I silently hoped that if it landed on someone who wasn't drunk enough, they could at least lie and say we made out. I didn't want someone would laugh at me while I pretend that I knew how to kiss someone.

            I didn't want to be a disappointment.

            The bottle stopped and I heard Riley take a sharp intake of breath. Looking at the bottle nervously, I glanced up to see the muscular build it pointed at.

            As luck would have it, the bottle pointed straight at him.

▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄    ▄