C H A P T E R S E V E N || J E S S

|| H E A R T B E A T R U N N I N G A W A Y||

"Jesus Christ, Cole! Is it crazy to fucking knock?" I snapped when Cole, once again, strolled through my dorm as if he lived here. I just slipped on the sweatshirt over my head and if he decided to come three seconds earlier, he probably would have seen my bra. He rolled his eyes and plopped down on my bed, grinning in happiness.

As much as I appreciate this new, friendlier Cole that did not mean I liked him walking in my room anytime he pleased.

"Trust me, Jess, I wasn't looking at anything." I rolled my eyes and searched for my UGGS, hoping that by the time I was fully dressed, Cole would leave me the hell alone. We may have only just started talking recently, and may have been civil toward each other, but I still felt hesitant toward him. He screamed uncertainty and his mood swings were highly irritating. Today, he seemed happy, as if he woke up on the right side of bed and wasn't the arrogant asshole I despised.

A grin stay planted on his face as he looked over at me and I wondered if I should send him away. His appearance made me nervous and the glint in his eye told me he was in too good of a mood today. He looked well dressed in his dark wash jeans and his gray combat boots swayed as he laughed at my confusion.

"Are you high?" I asked, squinting my eyes at him. It couldn't be that Cole Jefferson woke up on the right side of the bed today. He laughed hard, throwing his head back and clutching his stomach as he did so.

"No, Jess, I'm not high at ten in the morning." He chuckled. I crossed my arms over my chest and sighed, still eyeing him down. He still didn't tell me why he came in here or what he needed and I couldn't handle this sudden act of kindness.

"What's wrong with you?" I asked, slipping on my glasses so I could see him clearly.

"I actually slept peacefully last night." He smiled.

"Oh. Do you not sleep?" I asked curiously.

"No, too much on my mind." He responded distractedly. I didn't ask him what bothered him because it wasn't my business and the more curious I became over Cole meant feelings developing and that's not what I needed. I had my own problems to worry about and Cole couldn't be one of them.

"So you came here because..."

"You're my girlfriend." He grinned. I scowled at him as I grabbed my backpack and Cole laughed again. "Put your coat on so we can go to class." He sat up, running his hand through his perfect hair.

"We?"

"We both have this stupid lecture, you know that." He chuckled. I stared at him for a minute before putting on my coat. Cole wanted to go to class with me? That seemed unusual and slightly nerve wracking. I had no idea where his sudden act of kindness came from and I had to remember he isn't always this nice.

"Dress warm, it's supposed to snow." He said as he zipped his black North Face jacket. He slung his backpack over his shoulder and waited for me to finish getting ready. Grabbing a pair of gloves, I slipped on my own backpack and hoped that he would leave without me. Instead, he waiting outside so I could lock the door and we headed down the hall together.

We walked silently out of the building, nothing much to say or to talk about. I tried to think of simple conversations but Cole seemed distracted. The silence didn't seem awkward or uncomfortable, but just normal. I tried not to think much of it as we made it to our class. When we made it to the door, I noticed his slight tension and awkward movement. I headed in the opposite direction of him, knowing that he sat next to his friends and I didn't want to be the target of their comments.