C H A P T E R T E N || J E S S

|| J U S T T H E W A Y I T I S ||

I had no idea how I got into my bed. Fuck, I couldn't even remember much after I got to the party. Groaning, I slowly opened my eyes slowly to see an angry Riley peering over me. Unsure of what to do, I blinked at her slowly. Hands on her perfect hips, she narrowed her eyes at me.

"You left me!" She shouted. I winced at the volume and tried shoving my bedding over my head. Clearly, Riley wasn't having it because she ripped the bedding off me and pinched me.

"Riley!" I whined in annoyance.

"Jess! Did you hear me?"

"I think everyone can hear you!"

"Good! Maybe they'll hear how you left me at a party!"

"Me? You left me for Jason!" I scowled, sitting up slowly. Knowing I had a hangover, Riley instantly handed me a bottle of water and some Advil. Plopping down on my bed as if she was welcome, Riley played with her hair.

"You scared me." She finally said. At first, I thought she meant because I was gone, but then I realized what she was hinting at and I filled with appreciation and slight anger.

"I wouldn't do something like that." I whispered, hating how dry my throat was from the hangover. Her vulnerability scared me and I realized a best friend is honestly what I needed right now. Riley sighed and played with the ends of my blanket.

"I know, well, I like to tell myself I know...but sometimes I worry. You didn't even text!"

"I'm sorry," I croaked. She smiled softly and looked at me with shining eyes.

"Cole answered your phone after the hundredth time I called." She said casually.

"What?" I gasped, sitting up quickly. The quick motion had me covering my mouth, causing Riley to grimace at me. Slowly crossing my legs, I blinked to keep myself from going dizzy and looked at her carefully.

"Yeah, he said you were trashed so he was driving you home."

"I don't remember."

"I believe it." She snorted. "I came back an hour or two later after you and Cole was sleeping on the futon." She grinned.

"What?" Not only did he piss me off, but he did something nice, bringing me back to the clear as mud assumption of him. She nodded quickly, as if this thrilled her.

"He looked off." She sighed. "I woke him up because I didn't know what to do." She grimaced. "I felt bad, but he looked uncomfortable and if your feelings haven't changed from the last time I saw you, I knew you would have strangled him."

I couldn't believe it. Why did he stay?

"So he got me back in safe?"

"Yup." She nodded. "He seemed off." She repeated, as if I would care the second time. Shaking my head, I closed my eyes and tried to think back to what happened.

"I think I might have snapped at him." I winced. Riley's eyes went wide as she looked at me.

"Jess!"