C H A P T E R E I G H T || J E S S

||C R U S H ||

"I told you to dress nice." Cole spat as soon as I sat across from him. It took me forever to find this low-key diner, one that we wouldn't know a soul here, because God forbid he had to explain why he would hang out with someone like me. Personally, I couldn't see why it mattered; Tyler already knew about us and most of our student body could care less about us.

His words stung, already giving a bad impression of this "date". I tried to ignore his comment as I looked down at the bright blue tablecloth. I played with the perfectly wrapped silverware, wondering my consequences for stabbing him in the throat. He seemed to sense my annoyance as he rolled his eyes at my behavior. Despite his wonderful behavior, Cole did look nice tonight. Dressed in a nice sweater and dark wash jeans, he looked the perfect example of a magazine model. I tried to ignore the fact that he was an asshole, and just enjoy his appearance for once.

"You have anger issues you need to work on." Cole grunted, still watching me play with the silverware. Rolling my eyes, I took a sip of my glass of water and tried to see light of this awful situation. Sure, maybe he wouldn't be my ideal date, but he could possibly give me red flags without even knowing it; besides, if I even feel anything for him, it would bring me heartbreak. I wanted to ask him what his problem was, but I figured that would be stupid. Clearly, whatever happened earlier today didn't matter because he seemed back to his old self again, filling me with disappointment. My heart hammered as I realized I couldn't handle this side of him, today or any day for that matter.

Taking off my jacket, I carefully hung it over the chair Cole didn't pull out for me. I tried not to laugh at the irony of this situation. Cole claims he's here to teach me manners, but I've not witnessed any of his. I tried to let my annoyance roll off me, but he sensed it regardless. I plopped down back in the chair, watching him as he took out his iPhone. His rude behavior taints the innocent thought of dating all together. Clearly I wasn't interesting enough to talk to, and even though I knew he felt that way, it didn't make it less frustrating.

"You couldn't have at least done your hair or something?" He sighed, slipping his phone back into his pocket. My jaw slightly dropped at his words, completely offended and irritated. I couldn't believe he could say something that rude, but then again, I'm sitting in front of a dipshit. I closed my mouth, fearing to say anything to him in his cruel state. My hair looked nice-well, nice for curly hair. Pulled back into a loose braid, it looked tamed and natural as it rested over my shoulder.

"Why are you an ass?" I growled, gripping on to the butter knife tighter. Cole didn't bother to say anything and instead, grabbed the menu to completely ignore me. My hands started to tremble as I grabbed a menu and I knew I wouldn't be able to survive this date. Cole was looking to hut me and he was winning with every comment he made. I couldn't help but feel stupid as I looked through the menu, unsure of what I should order. Sure, everything sounded good, but did you order a giant burger on your first date?

"What are you getting?" He finally asked me, tearing his eyes away from the menu and back at me. Biting my lip, I shrugged as I skimmed the menu.

"I don't know," I sighed. "Shouldn't you recommend something?" I asked, still keeping my gaze on the menu.

"I don't know what you like." He said shortly, pissing me off once again. I shook my head, knowing that whoever helped me earlier wasn't the one I was at dinner with. There was a coldness to his shoulder that would never go away-I could never be in his company without it.