C H A P T E R E I G H T E E N || J E S S

|| L O O K I N G A T S T A R S | |

"How the fuck can your body handle all of that? How have you not gotten a heart attack yet?" Cole grimaced, flinching at how I slammed my bun back on top of my burger after adding French fries to it. Shooting him a dirty look, I calmly finished chewing and took a drink of my water, preparing myself to ignore his rude comments before I snapped his head off.

"You want to ask me a different question?" I proposed bluntly, popping another French fry in my mouth. Frowning at my actions, Cole shook his head quickly.

Good idea.

He's been kissing my ass lately since the park incident, and as much as I liked being pampered, it was also extremely annoying. Our relationship-whatever it is, does not involve being nice; hell, the only thing we seem to do is argue.

I like it that way. I want it to stay that way.

No, I don't mind him being a bit nicer; he needs to work on his manners anyway, but there's no way in hell I would deal with him constantly kissing ass. In hopes of getting on my good side-as if he ever was on my good side, he took me to a nice diner away from campus, letting us absorb the city without flocks of college students.

Eyeing him briefly as he frowned at my plate, I took in the sight of his faded bruises and healed cuts. He no longer looked like a battered victim and unfortunately for him, that meant he stopped getting female attention.

Popping my tongue, I took an irritated breath.

"What the hell are you looking at?"

"Jess, you're eating a double burger with fries, and you're eating more fries on the side!" He pointed out. Clamping my mouth shut, I gripped the metal knife next to me. I could feel people briefly glance at us, and I prayed that I didn't decide to go crazy. I wanted to point out that he's eaten more than I did, but of course, he's not used to a girl eating normal food and I'm sure he'd have some sexist comment.

"Cole, I always put fries on my burger." I said between clenched teeth. "Just because we're dating does not mean I will stop eating the way I like just because you think it'll clog my heart. Jackass." I grunted. Eyes narrowing, he pressed his lips into a flat line and shook his head.

"I was just saying," He muttered lowly. Rolling my eyes, I ignored him and continued eating. He trailed off in different conversation, casually watching as I wiggled in my chair uncomfortably as I felt cramps arise, and wince as I slouched in discomfort. I knew my period was coming, and if Cole was smart, he'd know based off the way I was treating him. Halfway through my burger, I leaned back in my chair and sighed in exhaustion.

"You didn't even eat all of it," He commented.

"I'll take it back." I shot back. Taking a deep breath, I gulped down some more water. Wincing at another cramp, I took a deep breath.

Stupid time of the month.

Stupid intense cramps.

Jess, you should probably go to a doctor; they shouldn't be that severe.

Oh great; I'm talking to myself.

Slapping some money on the table, he gave me an unimpressed look.