•Greatest of Them All

*The sandlot*

-David-
We were all in the sandlot and near Mr. Mertle's junk wall. This may not be a good plan for me, but it's worth it. I'm getting that shuttle back by myself. I'm going to step foot into that backyard. No matter what anybody tells me.

I kneeled down to open my shoe box and there it goes... the greatest shoes of them all... Nike. I was putting them on.

"David, you sure about this?" Sapphire asked.

"David, man. This is bad news." I heard Saul say.

I tied my shoes and stood up with confidence. I'm not afraid to do this. It was my decision after all.

"Yeah, David. Like, it's the baddest." Tarqell said.

I threw my old PF Flyers up the electric line. I held on to my ripped superhero cape I had since I was a kid. It got ripped because... I was the kid from that story. Shocking, right?

"David, wait!" Johnnie called out. I turned around. "It was my fault. I made a big mistake. You don't have to do this."

I looked at him and said, "Yeah, I do, Smalls. I have to do this." I tucked in some of the cape in my jeans.

"Oh my god. You're him, aren't you?" Hayley asked. "You're the little kid from the story." I nodded my head.

I started to climb up the junk wall. I took a glance at Hayley. "Just do it." She said. By now, I was on top of the junk wall.

"I'll man the cable. You guys stay here." Mac said.

I took a look at the backyard. I climbed down the junk wall and jumped. I can't believe it. I, David Durango, actually stepped foot in Mr. Mertle's backyard. I'm ready for this.

My eyes grew wide as I saw the Great Fear. It got bigger through the years. I took a big breath out and looked at the shuttle, then looked back at the dog. It was still barking.

I took a few steps forward and held out my cape. The dog charged for me. As the dog came closer, I put the cape in its face so it won't be able to see me.

I ran to get the shuttle. I slid and got the hook. I attached it to the shuttle. The dog ran was charging for me. I swerved to the left and he missed. This was my opportunity to run for it.

As I ran, I heard the dog's chain snap. It must've gotten out. I rapidly picked up my cape and climbed the junk wall.

I jumped down and all them cheered for me. The cheering simmered down when we saw the Great Fear on top of the junk wall looking right at me.

"Holy crap!" I yelled. I got on my bike.

I went through the carnival, the Little League baseball field, the movie theater, and all the streets. The dog was right behind me.

Then, I stopped to the place where the Great Fear bit me and left a big mark that I still have. I biked my way in there. I'm going in.

I rode through the place until I was on top of this big thing where I have to ride down. That looks too high. But the dog was right on my tail. I have to do it. So I did it. I screamed throughout the whole thing.

I landed on a truck and fell. I got up and the dog leaped over the gate.

"Oh shit!" I yelled. I ran for my life. I was dropping obstacles so the dog won't catch up to me.

I was back in the sandlot. I was still running. The dog bit into my cape. I yelped. I climbed the junk wall and did a big jump. It was a long fall. I got buried all the way in the dirt.
------------------

-Tarqell-
We saw the whole junk wall fall, but no sign of David. We saw him nowhere. He should've never took that big jump.

"Oh, my God! It caved in on him!" Mac yelled.

"He's six feet down at least!" Johnnie yelled.

"He's gonna suffocate!" Hayley yelled.

We all tried to dig with our bare hands. This is not gonna work. The Great Fear came and we got up. We backed up a little. It dug so fast, it got David. He looked bad.

"Oh, my God." Mac said.

"He doesn't look like he's breathing." I said.

"Doesn't look too good." Saul said.

"Is he gonna be alright?" Mac asked.

The Great Fear put some of his slobber on David's face and looked at us. David coughed and kneeled. Him and the dog were looking eye to eye. The dog gave David his cape back and licked his face. We laughed.

"Thanks, uh..." David picked up the dog tag to see its name. "Goliath."

"He's not so bad." Johnnie said.

"Like the story." Mac stated. We all agreed.

Johnnie knocked on the door.

To be continued...