•The Retriever

*Hayley's backyard*/ *The Next Day*

-Sapphire-
We were silently sitting in the patio, accepting our defeat in getting Mr. Goodfairer's shuttle back.

"In the movies, this is the part where the reinforcements are supposed to arrive." Mac stated.

"Supposed to." Johnnie said.

A kid on a bike came into the backyard and stopped near us. He had blonde hair, sunglasses, a cowboy jacket, pink shirt, blue jeans, and a necklace with many dog tags on it. I think I've seen him around school, but only once. Other than that, he's a bit of a mystery.

He took off his sunglasses and looked at us.

"Who's that?" Johnnie asked.

"Want to get that thing back?" The kid asked. We all stood up.

"You talk to me." He added. We murmured because we had no idea who this kid was.

"I've seen that kid before in school." Saul said.

"Yeah. I've seen him around school too." Tarqell said.

"His dad drives a chopper." Saul added.

We walked up to him since he was doing something to the fence. Maybe he was trying to break into the backyard.

"Kid, who are you?" Mac asked. The kid shushed him.

"They call me the Retriever." He said. He then turned around to get back on what he was doing.

We murmured. "Um, excuse me?" I said trying to get his attention.

"Yes?" He asked not turning around. I tapped his shoulder.

"I said yes." He said turned around. He checked me out and flirtatiously said, "Why, hello, pretty lady. What's your name?"

"Yeah, I don't have time for that." I said. "I just wanted to ask you what the hell is a Retriever?"

He scoffed. "When I was little... my frisbee went over a neighbor's fence. I retrieved it, but their dog used it as a chew toy and ruined it! So I took his name tag. It's what I do. I'm a retriever. The Great Fear is the ultimate challenge. No stupid dog can match my skill. But there's no way over that junk wall. I want that dog tag! And I'll get your shuttle back too. Deal?"

We nodded our heads. "Deal." Mac said.

Retrieve made Tarqell hold his jacket.

"Close the fence after me, and no matter what you hear... no matter what I say... do not open this board." Retriever instructed. "Understand?" We all nodded. Mac saluted him.

Retriever opened part of the fence he unlocked and put it to the side. He went into the backyard. "No matter what." He repeated.

All I heard from them was, 'Don't worry, we got it.' 'We got it.' 'We understand.' 'We completely understand.'

"I'll cone back for you. Wish me luck." Retriever said to me as he gave me a wink. Ugh.

I saw Tarqell roll his eyes.

"Good luck, kid. Now go." I said. I pushed him lightly.