•The Boys are Back

*My backyard*/ *The Next Day*

-Hayley-
"Do I have to rake the whole field?" The boy from yesterday asked me.

I nodded my head as we were walking along my backyard. I heard a door close and I knew it was my dad.

I said, "Oh. Hi, Daddy."

He said, "Hey, uh, sweetheart."

My mom came out the house and said to my dad, "Roger. You know referring to Hayley with frilly nicknames is sexist. It negatively impacts her developing self-esteem. Now, she is every bit the equal of a male child."

"Right sorry uh- sorry there, uh, buddy."

"That is much better."

My mom gave my dad a kiss. She then said, "I gotta go. And you, be good."

I said, "Bye, Mom."

"Bye."

My dad said, "See you later, sweetheart. Uh, partner."

My mom then left out the house.

I stood there and rolled my eyes. My dad does not know how to handle these nicknames so well.

I said, "Uh, Dad, this is my friend, uh-". Shoot, I didn't even learn his name.

The boy said, "Johnnie?"

"Yeah." I totally didn't play that off.

My dad said, "Oh. Hey- hey, Johnnie." He then chuckled.

My mom went into the car and drove off.

My dad continued with, "Nice to meet you, John. Yeah, it's nice to meet you there, uh, Johnnie." What is up with him today?

I said to my dad, "Anyway, Johnnie's into rockets too."

My dad said, "Hayley- no, no."

"Dad, please. There's the NASA logo."

"Oh. I've got my uh- Yeah whoops, there. Uh. Well, Johnnie, uh, model rocketry... that's a great little hobby."

Johnnie said to my dad, "With all due respect, sir, rockets are my life."

"Really?"

Johnnie nodded his head yes.

My dad said, "Well, mine too."

Johnnie asked, "May I ask sir, what you're currently working on here?"

"Well you could be if I told you, I have to, you know-"

I said, "Daddy."

"What?"

Johnnie said, "That's okay. I know he's just kidding."

My dad said to him, "Not really."

Johnnie's smile faded away once my dad said that. Then he smiled again and said, "Yes, sir, I understand."

My dad said, "Yeah." and hit Johnnie in the head with the blueprint in his hand. "Well see you around then, buddy."

"Okay. Count on it, sir."