Chapter Twenty

"What exactly are you going to do now?" I asked.

Darren shrugged and shook his head. "It doesn't matter much to me."

"It should!" I exclaimed, gripping the blankets on my bed tightly. I had been nervous about bringing Darren into my shabby little bedroom. It was a peasants dwelling compared to the luxurious room filled with silky red sheets and it's soft white carpet.

Darren fell back onto my mattress, it groaned in response as the two of us bounced against the stiff metal springs inside of the single size bed. "As long as I have you, I'm happy."

"Please don't say that." I sighed. "You have to think further than twenty minutes at a time." 

"What's wrong with the way I think?" Darren asked, folding his arms behind his head and looking over at me. 

"Normal people have to think about the future and finances and stuff."

"You think I don't think about those things?" Darren asked, rolling over on his side, most of his legs dangling off the bed. I got a good look at his serious face. "I have to think about those kinds of things all the time. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be a company heir?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't know what it's like."

"And I'll let you know that it's difficult. Your Parents expect more from you than they can do themselves and you have to learn everything your Parents decide you need to know. I know how to play the Piano, Cello, Violin and the French Horn."

"French Horn?" 

"It's  really hard, trust me. Harder than any instrument I've played. But that's not even the point, I'm just saying that I know how to play those instruments and they have nothing to do with running a company."

"Then why did they have you learn?"

"Because Tiffany's Father had her learning instruments as well."

I felt that awful pang of jealousy in my heart when he said her name. "Tiffany, huh? How long have your Parents wanted you to marry her?"

"A while." He shrugged. "But I don't want to."

I looked at Darren, feeling useless. "Wouldn't it be better for you to do what your Parents want?"

"It's not that I care about money," Darren shrugged. "I'm perfectly ready to drop everything and be with you, have I not said that before?"

I felt my face grow hot at his suggestion. "That's absurd Darren." Though I saw the intensity in his eyes, this guy was serious. There was absolute conviction in his voice.

"What do you want me to say then?" He asked, sitting up and crossing his legs before me. He leaned forwards, towards me. I could smell the expensive cologne he wore.

"I don't want you to throw everything away for me, I'd never forgive myself." I said, biting my lower lip.

Darren smiled and shook his head. "If I do anything, it's for us, not just me and not just you."

I stared at him sadly. It seemed that I was the only one that knew that this relationship was doomed from the beginning. Darren seemed to sense my attitude and frowned. 

"What's the matter?" 

I shook my head. "It's nothing."

"I'm thinking I should find a job."

"Where are you going to stay?" I asked nervously.

"I'll stay with Nick." 

"What about school? You already withdrawn from school, remember?"