Chapter Eleven

I wasn't ready for it, though I had pretended to be ready and even lied about being so, I was indeed not. I didn't even have a dress for the party and the invitation didn't exactly make it out like casual wear.

Still, I dug through my meager wardrobe, looking for something that would allow me to fit in with the other rich kids that would be there on our Birthday. I could only imagine what the birthdays of the rich would entail and now I was going to be a part of one! To say that I was excited would be an understatement! 

I could hear my parents talking quietly outside through my open window, having their after dinner tea no doubt. It was a ritual in my house for my parents to drink a glass of green tea after dinner it's supposed to aid in digestion. My bedroom faces the front road where people walk by, I've heard some strange conversations living here already.

It was staring to get darker faster, I pulled out my lighter and lit the candle on my bedside table and on the dresser I use as a desk. I heard the front door close and I knew that my parents had headed inside, fleeing the coming cool. I quickly shut my window. The walls in our house are so thin, you can almost hear anything that goes on from anywhere inside or outside of the building.

Finally, the sun dipped behind the houses beyond us and those wiggling flames sent a shaky golden glow around the room. I checked my watch, it read 9:40. there was a knock at the door.

I heard my Dad answer it. "Hello?"

Another man's voice responded. "Hi there, I'm looking for January Grove. I have a delivery for her." It was slighty muffled but I could make it out alright.

There was a pause as my Dad made his way towards the stairway. "January!"

I left my room immediately, briefly imagining some elaborate Cinderella story. I quickly walked towards the front door, half expecting a prince in frilly, white clothes. Instead, a man dressed just like Kevin's Driver stood at the door. I quickly noticed the large red box in his arms and the red rose sewn into his breast pocket. 

He smiled as I approached him. "January?" 

I nodded. I looked past him at the expensive black luxury vehicle parked at the curb outside of our house and raised my eyebrows.

"Good evening Miss Grove," he said, bowing his head a little. "I have a delivery from the Johnson Family." 

I raised my eyebrows and resisted the urge to say 'Why?' 

He handed the box over to me and I had no choice but to thank him as I struggled with the heavy package.

"They also wanted me to inform you that tomorrow, I will be here at 4:45 to pick you up and take you to the party."

"Oh, well thank you." I said awkwardly.

"Good night Miss. Grove." He bowed at the waist and walked back to his car.

"That seems like more than just a Birthday Party to me." My Dad said when I whirled around and shut the door with my foot. I smiled and quickly headed back up to my room.

When I finally did have the privacy of my bedroom, I set the box down on my bed and ran my hands over the red cardboard. I finally noticed an envelope that was attached to the box. I pulled the red envelope off and slipped the cream letter out. 

January, 

Let's just say that this is a Birthday Gift from me to you. It's just like you, I'll never find another one like it.

-Darren Johnson

I pulled the top off of the box and then gently pulled the black tissue paper over it back to reveal a beautiful rose red fabric. I pulled it out of the box instantly.