The Fight: Selan

I'm disgusted by the fact that Anna destroyed the village. She came back with scrapes and scratches, but nothing more. She gave everyone the report and said that we have to watch out for others out there that oppose the Empire. I don't know who she fought out there, but I'm glad she's okay. She's still not herself. Whenever she looks at me, she looks at me with sadness and anger as if she knows what she's doing is wrong, but she knows she can't fight the Jaegers. They are controlling her. She's not even in control of herself. Esdeath did finally let me in the meeting room to discuss the upcoming battle. She wants to lure Night Raid in a trap and wipe them all out at once. It's a suicidal plan since Night Raid won't let themselves be caught in a trap like that. I hate the plan myself since I'm going to be the bait. I haven't fully accepted the Empire. I'm a lot stronger than Anna and didn't let myself be consumed by the Empire's corruption. She's still there, but barely.

The first part of the plan is to attack a Revolutionary patrol and get their attention. Then I'm supposed to run to a gorge where we can trap them in it. It's a foolish plan and it's not going to work...well it'll work up to that point. Attacking regular soldiers is what I'm good at. The final part of the plan is to have Anna attacking Akame and that's going to end up getting Anna killed. Esdeath wants to see just how powerful Anna is before she moves on the throne. Anna doesn't want it, but she'll be killed by Esdeath if she doesn't. Anna isn't a leader, she's a warrior. Warrior's fight to protect what they fight for, leader's are puppets who control everything behind everyone. I shake my head, I'm starting to disappear in my own thoughts. I can't let that happen. I throw the battle map in the trash and gear up. This may very well be my last day alive.

****

I stand in the middle of the patrol. I lured them out of the woods so I can fight easier. I unsheathe my great swords and ready myself for the attack. One breaks from the circle and I easily dispatch him by kicking him in the shins and stabbing him through the shoulders. The blood sprays in the air and stains the ground scarlet. I block a blow from behind with one sword and spin. The sword easily slices open the soldiers stomach. He falls to the ground grabbing his stomach. I stomp on his neck so that he may not suffer anymore.

More and more soldiers storm onto the road from the woods. Where did they all come from. They must be sending in a patrol to cover the other patrol. Damn it! I have to finish this quick if the plan is to work. I dive into the soldiers hoping that my armor will hold up. I'm not a knight for nothing! I'm built to take damage and dish it out, but I'm the best knight that's lived! I will not fall! I slash one more time and blood sprays on my face from the soldier's neck. I feel something hit my armor and luckily my armor is thick enough to take that sword. I turn and stab the soldier through the chest. I spot quick movement out of the corner of my eye. No soldier moves that fast. Night Raid has arrived. Time to start moving on with the plan. Once everyone is in place, these soldiers won't stand a chance if they follow me. I know Night Raid will follow me since Ren joined them. Ren will want me to join them no matter what.

"Stand down brother." I hear as Ren pushes through the crowd, "All this killing is pointless. They aren't what you're after."

"Ren." Is all I can say. I didn't expect him to show up at all, "Please, you have to get out of here."

"What do you mean?" He asks looking around, "Guys you need to leave. Head back to your homes!"

"Ren, I tried to fight them," I say, "they forced me to do this. I don't want you to die."

"What do you mean?" Ren grips his blade. That's not his old blade however, it's a new one. It's blood red with a black hilt, "Tell me. I don't want to have to kill you. I don't want to lose you forever."

"It's all a rouse." I tell him, "Esdeath plans to wipe out Night Raid today!"

"Why are you helping them?" Ren slightly unsheathes his blade, "You could just leave at any time."

"What they did to Anna, they did to me." I grip the handle of my blades tighter, "I would've left if I could. You have to believe me!"

"Selan!" Anna appears behind Ren and throws him into the trees with a kick to the back, "I'll deal with you later. The plan's changed. We're fighting here. And my first target...is Ren. He'll die for splitting our family up first!"

I watch her run towards Ren. Please let them both live....