Chapter 9 - Agitation

Start from the beginning

Mryah had seemed more than happy to relay the information for her. Truthfully the young woman was exceedingly happy most days. Had been ever since she came back from the first day of rest that the Princess had given her. It made Gwenwyn wonder if her lady-in-waiting had found a more personal reason to wish to stay in the Trade Kingdom.

Following her suspicions, the Princess allowed herself to rely more heavily on the other two serving ladies that had been assigned to assist her. Their names, she found out, were Lillany and Pamela. They were more than adequate in their duties, but unlike Mryah, they were put off by Gwenwyn's silence and didn't say much around her.

Gwenwyn didn't let their apprehension bother her.

or at least-

She tried not to let it bother her.

She didn't let the fact that it bothered her, show.

Princess Gwenwyn had also grown more hushed around King Griggory. The proud King had become a constant companion during lunch and often sent extravagant vases of flowers or exotic trays of delicacies to her chamber. She made sure to always have praise, or a complement ready if he spoke directly to her, but he seemed pleased by her apparent appreciation for silence. He claimed that it was in part from her Rramnon upbringing as well as her female modesty. He approved of her silence.

Although she would never openly admit it, King Griggory's approval infuriated her.

His favor, was all that she had been working towards for the last few weeks, but she still couldn't bring herself to feel anything more for him than mild contempt.

She could stand being in his presence, but that was about it.

Her feet shuffled towards the sitting area in front of one the three windows that occupied her quarters for the last month and a half.

Princess Gwenwyn stared blankly out the window as the sun slowly reached towards the horizon. Hooded eyes and a shadow covered smile beneath the moonlight flashed in the back of her mind.

'Flint.'

'Stop it.' She chided herself yet again. She raked her hands through her unpinned hair in an attempt to calm herself.

The moment light peaked out above the trees in the distance Gwenwyn audibly sighed. She faced the raising sun, closed her eyes, and let the light extinguish the flutter that had raced through her whole body all night.

For a moment she stood there in a numbed bliss.

'Why do you run?"

"To feel free."

It had been completely true. The night had always been a time of freedom for her. It was a time when rules and expectations could be forgotten in a rush of wind against skin and ache along muscle.

Not anymore.

She went to rake her fingers through her hair again but the sound of the side door opening forced her hands drop to her side while her back instantly straightened.

By the time the sound of Mryah's cheerful humming entered the room Gwenwyn was once again the daughter that would make her father proud. She turned towards her lady-in-waiting and heard the tune fall short.

"You're up early again, your Highness." The young woman said with slight concern in her voice.

Gwenwyn didn't respond.

She hardly ever did.

besides-

What would she say?