He's so kind

[Elena's P.O.V]

Garrett Clint: at first glance, he didn't look like a nice person, nor did he look like the kind of person to be kind; he turned out to be both. I knew everything I did was pushy. When my leg started hurting again in the middle of the road, I experienced a fear I hadn't felt in a long time, and him being as close as he was I admittedly took advantage of. I didn't know what he was thinking when he told me to close my eyes, but I did anyway. When I opened them, I saw that I wasn't hurt, and neither was he. I didn't know what it was, but I felt so safe around him. He even helped go to the café after saving me.

"Because ... I want to be your friend."

"W-Why? I already have-"

I got up from my seat, and sat down beside him in the booth.

"Don't worry, I wasn't thinking you were a total loner. I doubt you have many friends that are female."

"S-Sure, I have female friends."

"No, you don't. I can tell. I admit, you're a menacing person at first, so I doubt any girl had the guts to approach you anyway; no offence."

"Oh, it's fine. I'm taking that as a compliment." He said, sheepishly chuckling.

"Anyways, enough with your short-lived hoax."

"Fine." He replied reluctantly.

"So, Garrett, tell me ..." I asked with curiosity: "Why don't you talk to girls? You're a nice guy."

"I'm not gonna say."

"I know, I'm being nosy ..."

"It's fine, but please, stop asking me personal questions."

"Those questions are considered personal?"

"To me; yes." He then looked out the window, seeming bored. After a quick minute, he suddenly stood up. I must have probed something for him, as the incident at the intersection did for me.

"W-What is it?"

"Oh shit, they're back ..."

"Jared and Derrick, I'm guessing ...?"

"That's right, and I think they saw me."

"Oh no."

Before we had time to move, Jared and Derrick kicked open the door to the café.

"Oh look ... it's the blondie and that son of bitch." Jared said with bandages all over, sarcastically laughing while glaring at us.

Everyone in the café cowered with fear, while the waiters stood silently, holding their serving plates tightly. The staff muttered to each other, leaving the floor for the employee only area.

"That little motherfucker needs to be taught a lesson for what he did to us." Derrick said quietly, also covered in bandages.

Garrett loudly laughed at them, leaping out of the booth. "Did you just call me ... a motherfucker?"

"Yes I did."

Garrett grabbed his collar, almost choking him.

"Take your hand off of Derrick, or you're gonna bite the dust." Jared said, pointing a long switchblade at Garrett's neck. A couple servers rushed to the kitchen, upon seeing the switchblade drawn. I could see the presumed manager being briefed on the situation, the small flock of staff migrating towards us. I didn't want Garrett to be questioned when he was clearly being aggravated and not the other way around.

"Garrett, please!" I said firmly, standing up.

Garrett glanced over at me, and then back at Jared.