The Arrington Family (present)

"Today would've been his birthday." Patricia said reminiscently, washing the dishes as she glanced over her shoulder to look at William.

"You know Terry would always beg not to make a big deal out of it either." William chuckled slightly as he was putting away clean dishes.

"Elena would still make fuss anyway." Patricia said also chuckling, her smile slowly waning.

"Patty?" William put away the last plate and walked next to Patricia, helping her wash the dishes.

"I-I can't help but miss him at times like these, Will. It's so hard ... our son ..." Patricia turned off the water, drying her hands slowly as she stared down at the sink.

William dried his hands off as well, gently taking Patricia into his arms.

"I miss Terry too, Patty, I really do ... that being said, we have to keep doing what we've been doing ... making sure Elena is safe and be happy." William said, attempting to reassure Patricia.

"You're right Will ..." Patricia slowly recollected herself, wiping her eyes with a gentle touch.

"Elena will be home soon with Garrett, I'm sure." William looked at the door, which promptly opened. Elena was home.

"Hi Mom, Dad!" Elena took off her shows with giddiness, rushing to her parents as she gave them a large hug.

"Hello darling." Patricia smiled as she hugged her daughter, William included.

Garrett walked through their doorway, shutting the door behind him.

"Hello Mr. Arrington, Mrs. Arrington." Garrett smiled politely, keeping his shoes on as he stood near the door.

"What are you doing? Come on in, son!" William said happily as he motioned Garrett to come inside.

Garrett could not help but feel a warm and exciting feeling. It had been a long time, a very long time, since he was referred to as a 'son'.

"Y-Yes Mr. Arrington."

"Why so formal today? It's not like you're coming here for the first time." Patricia asked questionably, wondering what was with Garrett's uptight attitude. Polite, but uptight.

"Ah well ..." Elena fell silent, walking to Garrett who had just taken his shoes off. Patricia and William looked at each other, and then at Garrett and Elena.

"Okay kids, what's the issue?"

"W-Well ... um, Dad? Mom? You're okay with me being with Garrett, right?" Elena said as she protectively hugged Garrett's arm. His face was tomato red, stuttering under his breath.

"Have we ever showed any signs of rejection?" Both parents said smiling.

"W-Well, I was wondering if um.." Garrett said nervously, stuttering and pausing at every corner.

"If it's okay if Elena lives with me."

Both parents' jaws dropped, looking at their embarrassed daughter who continued to cling to Garrett's arm.

"H-Hold on, you two are still in high school, and Garrett, we are more than happy to help but ..." Patricia also began to trail off as she stuttered, confused at Garrett's request.

"We accept your relationship, b-but isn't this a little bit of a stretch?" William asked confusedly, moving his hands around everywhere as he was barely able to piece a sentence.

Elena and Garrett looked at each other, covered their mouths, and then burst out laughing. Patricia and William were beyond confused now.

"W-What's so funny you two?" Both Patricia and William asked at the same time.

"Y-Your reaction ..." Elena said as she was wheezing laughs, holding her stomach.

"I said that as a joke ..." Garrett said as he wiped his eyes, slowly calming down.

William and Patricia decided to have some fun of their own, pretending to be upset.

"Get over here, Garrett." They said as they wore angry expressions.

Garrett, falling for the prank, immediately felt apologetic, but was worried he would get hurt. What did he do in response? He ran into their large family room, away from William and Patricia.

"Hey! Get back here!" William chased after Garrett, pretending to still be upset, while Patricia stood beside her daughter. Now Elena was confused.

"W-What's going on Mom?"

"Your father is treating Garrett like his own son, that's all."