The Arrington Family (past)

"Elena's so small!" Terrence looked at his baby sister, gently holding her small hands with care.

"Yes, you were much bigger as a baby, Terry." Terrence and Elena's dad, William, said as he moved his son's hair back.

"Dad!" Four year old Terrence pouted at the reply.

"Now now you two, you should be quiet. Elena is trying to sleep." Patricia, their mother, said quietly as she shushed William and Terrence. Both Terrence and William giggled quietly.

"When can I play with her?" Terrence whispered quietly.

"When she's awake, and maybe a little bigger. Elena isn't as strong as you, so you have to be gentle. You're four years old, young man." William whispered back to Terrence.

They were both once again shushed by Patricia, who was gently rocking Elena in her arms.

Seven years passed.

"Mommy, me and Terrence are going to the park again!" Elena said as she was excitedly putting on her light red velcro shoes, adjusting her tank top and white shorts as she was ready to bolt out the door.

"Ah ah ah." Patricia gently held Elena's arm, shutting the door slowly.

"Why are you stopping me Mommy? Terrence will keep me safe-"

"That's not the issue, Elena." William kneeled next to Elena, placing his hand on her shoulder.

"What's the problem Mom? Dad?" Terrence said maturely, flaring the collars on his striped polo shirt as he slowly walked down the stairs.

"The other day, you two were lost when you ended up at that park ... we are so sorry that happened." Patricia said sadly, looking down as she tried to compose herself.

"We do not want that happening again." William said sternly.

"Okay Mom, Dad, let me explain. We met two kids at that park, and we wanted to meet up with them again. They are really nice kids, and were really honest. We had a lot of fun, and it was nice for Elena to make a friend."

"Terrence, it is dangerous to go out again by yourself." William said in the same tone.

"But Mommy, Daddy, it's okay if you guys are nearby right?"

Patricia and William looked at each other, and then back at their pleading children.

"Okay. We will go with you." Both parents shrugged, smiling as they hugged their children.

Both their children hugged them back smiling, Elena jumping up excitedly while Terrence tried to calm her down.

"What are these kids' names?"

"Oh, well it's actually a brother and sister like us. The brother is Elena's age. His name is Garrett, and Elaina is his sister's name." Terrence replied instantly.

"Say, Patty, doesn't Leni and Thomas have a son named Garrett? And a daughter named Elaina?" William looked to Patricia, both looking at each other the same way.

"Yes ... I am pretty sure those are their kids." Patricia smiled as she walked with William, Terrence and Elena out the door.

Three years passed.

"Wow, this place is awesome Mom!" Elena was taken to go to an amusement park for her birthday. The day they went was two days after her actual 10th birthday.

"We know how you love roller-coasters, so we are taking you here." Patricia said as she held Elena's hand. Elena was short for her age.

"Hey Mom, Elena can go on that one, right?" Terrence, now fourteen years old, said as he pointed to a small roller-coaster ride, where the ride had harnesses on the seats and buckles.

"Well, if she meets the height requirement, she should be fine."

"Dad, I wanna go on the rides Terry goes on!" Elena looked up at her parents with pout, looking at Terrence with the same pout.

"Don't worry Elena, I will go on all the rides with you." Terrence patted her head, gently taking her hand as he placed a toy in her hand. It was a toy he won at a counter a couple minutes before they arrived at the roller-coaster section of the park.

"Yay!" Elena jumped up, holding the toy as she looked at her parents smiling.

"Oh! Before we head on the rides, we should take a photo." William exclaimed as he held up a camera he brought.

William politely asked a passerby to take a photo of the family, which they did. A really nice photo too, with one of Elena's favourite roller-coasters in the background, a photo that would later be framed and treasured.