Imagine Ubbe comforting you over his scars

ONESHOT
Words: 1758

Ubbe looked like hell when he came back from that raid. It brought you always so much fear, them coming back. You gazed between the people hoping to see his face and his face only. Always afraid that he maybe was dead, always afraid that he maybe was so badly wounded you couldn't help him anymore. But seeing him walking was the best gift from that day. The relief went so fast through your body that you felt shaky on your legs, that you felt tears burning in the back of your eyes. You didn't protest when he left every time again but it was the hardest thing to do. He was a young man, it was his destiny to do those things, certainly because he was a son of Ragnar. And you were his girl cheering for his comeback. How much he hated it to let you behind, it was his encouragement to come back. So when your eyes locked with his you saw the same relief getting through his body. His shoulders lowered, while he relaxed his face to hold that tenderness above all his pain ... but he couldn't. He pressed his arm against his body, you saw blood on his leather armor, his skin and you hoped that it wasn't his. So much emotions runned through you, not only the fear but even more the concern, the love, the hate for whoever did that to him. And when he finally got to you, you broke down a little on the inside. He wrapped his good arm around you and pulled you against his chest. You felt as much relief on his side than it did on your side, what could only mean one thing ... it was a heavy raid.

You got him home after that his mother needed to say a thing or two about her brave boys. All the time you stood their axcious to tend his wounds and give him some comfort. You hated that woman, you hated the queen of Kattegat and she didn't care about you. Because you where just some girl who hang around her son, always talking about how he would marry a princess whe you were around to hear it. But it was more than that between you and Ubbe, you weren't just a girl, you were his and there wasn't a place you rather wanted to be than right by his side.
'Sit down.' You pulled a chair closer and he sat down with a painfull look in his eyes. 'How bad is it?' You asked, starting with collecting water and fabrics, some herbs you always had around while he tried to get his armor of by himself. 'Ubbe don't.' You stopped his movements by laying your hand over his. He looked up and smiled.
'Missed you.' He confessed. You lowered a little, placing a kiss on his dirty sweaty forehead.
'Glad to have you back in one piece.' You smilled comforting. You carefully started to get his layers of clothes off. The more you removed, the more blood you found and the more you got concerned about him.
'I live.' He answered the concern that laid in your eyes. You sighned softly, pushing away the last part of fabrics until he sat there bare chested. It was a massive wound on his upper arm, it still bleeded. Other than that it where scratches and bruises and the scars from previous raids.
'Hardly.' You whispered on his earlier words. You got the bucket with water and pulled a chair in front of him. You tried not to look to his face while you started cleaning the wound. It took so much from you, to see how much he endured in this raid. 'Did you win?' You asked after a little while, slowly looking up to his face again. He seemed tired, pale even and you looked back to the wound, saddened about his current situation.
'Yes. We got a hold of their leader, he didn't surrender so he attacked me.'
'And you got hurt.'
'Y/n, I'm alright. I just need some rest.' He tried to comfort you. You smiled, looking fastly down to his wound again. You maked a ointment and smeared it on the wound, he tensed a little by the cold touth of the ointment. Never before he came back this badly hurted. 'I thought of you, when he wounded me and I thought it would be the end. You were the last thing I was thinking of before Hvitserk saved me.' He whispered. A single tear rolled down your cheeck. You looked up to him but he was looking in the distant, re-living that moment.
'I can't bare the thought of losing you.'
'The gods granted me mercy.' He tried to sound positive but the pain and the exhaustion from this raid didn't supported that.
'I'm glad they did. I hope they always will.' You replied, stroking his cheek with your hand. His eyes, a mix from some bleu and green showed all the love he possesed for you. He brought his face closer and placed a kiss on your lips. You closed your eyes, enjoying every bit of his tast, the softness, the love he shared in that one moment. He didn't pulled back, his head rested against yours and you opened your eyes.
'You need to rest Ubbe.' You adviced him tenderly. Your hand followed his jawline before you pulled back and took the bandages from the table. He just looked at you, the whole time he studied your face while you concentrated yourself on bandaging the wound he had. It would heal, by time. He would grow stronger again, ready to fight again. That wound would be only a scar over years, a scar that would help him remember about the times he fought and almost lost. When you were ready you looked back to him. He laid his hand on your upper leg, giving a little squeeze to thank you before he got up. You only looked to the scars on his back, their weren't much but they were there, while he walked out to fresh himself up before he got to bed. He had to live to his father image and you always feared that it would be his dead some day.

The warmth give you some consolation while you laid there aside him on your stomach, in the curve of his good arm. You looked over the scars he had on his chest, the little one cause by the arrow he got hit with when he was raiding a farmersvillage. The large scar from a knifefight. You knew every story after every scar and it pulled you under water, like you couldn't breath by the idea that every one of those scars could meant his dead somewhere along the way. Every fight left a mark and every mark on his body maked your only loving him more. 'Y/n.' You startled out of the gazing to his scars. You looked up to his face, glad to see the energy sparkle in his eyes. He didn't looked so pale anymore and the exhaustion was nothing more that a faded hint in the corner of his eyes. A smile spreaded over your lips before you lowered your head, kissing him goodmorning. The kiss felt in so many ways different. You felt his regained passion through it, his reaction, bringing his hands up, weaving it through your hair while his thumb slowly follewed your skin under your ear. The joy ... you pulled a little back, trying to supress your smile by bitting your lower lip while you snuggled your head against his neck, placing a kiss there.
'How do you feel?' You asked him softly, pulling your head back to look at him again. He carresed your face and nodded satisfied.
'Good, better than before I fell asleep.' He answered you honestly.
'You look better to.' You agreed, playing with the tip of his braid while you looked down to the scar on his shoulder.
'You look to much to them.' He noticed. You didn't react immidiatly on the words, you only looked down to his braid that you started to remove.
'It's hard to not look at them. It always reminds me how many time I could lost you.' You reacted after a while. He shifted his weight but pulled a painfull face and just laid still, his good arm laid under you, fingertips resting on the small of your back.
'It only reminds me about how many times I got back home to you.' He reacted on a loving voice. You smiled, rested your head on his bare chest while your finger followed the little hardly visiable scars on his stomach. Only the thought of the pain he most enjured in those battles was enough to hold him even a little tighter.
'I'm always saying goodbye to you like it's the last time. Not begging you to stay but neither cheering you farewell. I'm glad to have you back Ubbe.' You turned your face and looked at him.
'You are my own kind of goddess, the one who's protecting me from dying, I always pray to that goddess, knowing she will bring me safe back to you.'
'You have a nice way of saying that.' You smile grew bigger and he stroked his hand through your hair.
'Had a long time to think about it.' He winked, more playfull. And that was the Ubbe you wanted so badly back, the one who played you with all his charm, would die for you, would bare a hundered scars if it only meant saving you. 'Will my goddess bring me something to drink?' He asked a little amused. You chuckled and placed a kiss on his chest.
'For you everything, don't run off.' You said that last one a little more warning.
'I'm a little broken down so don't worry.' He shouted after you. You ran for a cup, your inner body trilling with the desire to be with him again. That was everything you needed, him healty around you, with the scars if nessesary. You heared him approacing from behind, sneaking an arm around your waist, pulling you with your back against his chest. He placed his lips against your nack and you willingly gave him more space by tilting your head.
'I thought you wouldn't ran off.' You whispered with closed eyes.
'For you I would ran everywhere. I missed you, come back to bed.' He said, hardly pulling back for your neck. You nodded, still in the lingering trance of what he did and you followed him without a doubt, leaving the cup empty on the table ...