Imagine being the sister of five Ragnarssons

ONESHOT
Words: 1914

He pulled you behind him into the forest, you looked over your shoulder, giggling before disappearing between the trees, embracing his touch while his lips placed on yours. This foolish love you shared with this boy made your life worth living. Your fingers tangled into his hair while he pushed you against a tree. His body pressed against yours, feeling every bit of warmth from him coming right at you. It felt good, your hand traveled over his chest while his hand lowered over your leg. 'He seems like an eager one.' A sudden voice snapped your right out of the moment. The boy startled, jumping way back while you only looked angry towards the trees.
'Brother.' You hissed. Ivar putted his fingers up, greeting you with a sarcastic smile before he pulled his body up to the tree stump not for aside him.
'Let's see.' He began, gesturing the boy to come closer. You grabbed the boy with his elbow and threw Ivar a warning look.
'Don't start. I'm only one year younger, you treat me like a little child.' You snapped to him. He was always around, keeping an eye on you. How much you loved him, this was annoying. You pushed the boy away.
'No, stay.' He stopped the boy from walking further. You clenched your teeth and turned back around to Ivar, almost begging him to let the situation go. 'I'm your brother Y/n, I need to know if you are safe, I need to give my approval about certain things,' his voice trailed when he looked over to the boy, judging. You knew right away that boy wouldn't look for you again, certainly not after meeting this brothers ... of all the brothers you had it had to be Ivar to begin with.
'I don't need your approval; I can manage on my own. You just do it because you like it to disturb my life.'
'Yes, a little.' He admitted. You breathed out and Ivar send the boy away with a loose movement of his hand.
'My other brothers aren't like this.' You pounded when the boy finally disappeared.
'That's because they have other thing on their mind.'
'Don't you have to do something else then.'
'Y/n, let me do my job.'
'I hate your job Ivar. When are you gonna let me go?' You asked, standing before him, still angry about his appearance right on the moment you started to feel something.
'Never, you are my little sister. Come on.' he fall down from the tree stump and started crawling. You rolled your eyes and followed him.
'What if I get married?' You asked, not really wanted to know what he would answer but you hoped it would be something positive.
'Then I hope your husband treats you well.' He looked up with a promising look and you forgot the whole idea of that positivity.

That night during dinner you didn't say much. You sat aside your mother, changing angry glares with Ivar who was just amused by your anger. 'What is it Y/n?' Aslaug asked, stroking your hair. You hated it when she got so touchy, like you were some kind of a doll, or baby. Why they all treated you like this? Yes you where the youngest of the four but it didn't meant they had to treat you like it.
'Nothing.' You replied, looking over to Ivar who chuckled. Aslaug changed her gaze towards her youngest son.
'What did you do Ivar?' Aslaug asked him with a soft hidden smile. You threw your spoon into your soup and leaned back because you were for sure he would tell.
'She was kissing a boy and I wanted to know who he was.' He shrugged. Hvitserk who was just gonna put his spoon into his mouth froze, looking over at you before he looked back to Ivar.
'Is that true?' Aslaug asked you.
'Yes.' You murmured. Sigurd started to laugh and you turned your eyes to your other two brothers. Hvitserk suppressed a smile while Ubbe tried to be deadly serious about the matter. 'What is so wrong? How old was Ubbe when he kissed a girl?' You fired back.
'That's not the same sister.' Ubbe reacted.
'Why not?'
'Because you are a girl, a princess, you are precious.' Sigurd answered for his brother. Ubbe nodded and you just sunk a little further in your seat until they all started about another subject. Hvitserk, who sat aside you, leaned over to your seat.
'How was it?' He asked, curious with that boyish grin on his face. You looked aside to him and smiled softly, knowing that Hvitserk always would be your back up in every situation.

You stood before the great hall, facing Ubbe while your three other brothers sat on the stairs before. You pulled the sword, giving him a challenging grin. Those brothers all had their task in your life. Ivar kept an eye on you, Hvitserk was the real brother, caring, sharing, always around and Ubbe learned you the most, fighting for example. With Sigurd is was sometimes difficult, he didn't act like a brother but could bring you the most at ease when you were troubled about something, just by sitting aside you, playing something.
'Watch your feet.' Ubbe pointed out. You looked down to your own feet, nodding confident before attacking him. Growing up with four brothers turned like them, strong headed and with the fighting skills. Although you needed some more practice, Ubbe was faster than you, stronger. In the little breathing space he gave you, you walked back, panting.
'You do good Y/n.' Hvitserk approved. You looked aside to your brother and smiled. Ivar was asking for your attention and when you looked at him he pointed down to the back of his knees. You frowned while looking back to Ubbe who was drinking, remembering the fight he lost against Björn, the small injury he got. The corner of your mouth got up, giving Ivar a promising look before turning back to Ubbe. On that part you could be as devious as Ivar sometimes was. You took Ubbe right back, making the wrong move so he was misled before kicking him against the back of his knee, causing him to fall through his knees.
'Look at that, a shield maiden to be.' Somebody announced. You turned around, a smile spreading over your face when you saw Björn, covered in fur, looking proud. You let your sword fall and ran at him, wrapping your arms around his chest after seeing him not for days. 'Proud of you Y/n.' He smiled. You felt the heath going up to your cheeks when you let go of him and he started to greet his other brothers. 'Is Aslaug inside?' He asked Ubbe. Your brother got up in the meantime and nodded, Björn disappeared right after. You sat down between Ivar and Hvitserk, looking over to Kattegat without paying any attention to what they were talking about. It took you a while to notice that the sounds changed, the crown changed. You hand petted Ivar his shoulder, looking how the people came together in the distance.
'What is it?' He asked, rather impatient.
'Look.' You pointed out. Your other brothers followed your finger towards the crown coming closer. But there was nothing you could see about why they were gathering. Ubbe pushed up, putting his sword back into his belt before he started walking. You rushed up, picking up your own sword before walking aside Ivar after the other brothers. When they pushed through the crowd there wasn't any of them who could say a word. Hvitserk pushed you into the safe zone between him and Ivar, the four of them looking to the man in front of them. You never knew your father well, you had memories of him but it didn't present anything and now he stood here. You had heard so much about the famous Ragnar, you knew how your brothers looked towards him but you never could form your own image. But the grey old man before you hardly satisfied your imagination. Ragnar his eyes trailed off to Ivar who was smiling because he got the first attention.
'Ivar, there is no mistaking you.' Ragnar began before his eyes locked on you, intensely bleu green eyes. 'Y/n.' He said. You fingers clenched around your sword and Hvitserk grabbed your hand. Ragnar saw that movements, smiled on the same intensive way he looked. 'I see you learned a lot.' He tilted his head, you felt Ivar looking up to you. In that one moment Ragnar looked at you, your brothers where defending you by tensing in his look. You didn't say a thing, looked how he walked away towards Ubbe, telling a whole speech that ended in the screams, 'Who wants to be king!'

Later when everything was settle the five brothers of Ragnar joined their father in the great hall. You sat in the dark, curious but divided along side of Ivar, who just behaved the same as you. Björn did all the talking while Hvitserk and Ubbe were drinking and Sigurd really didn't care. You asked yourself over and over again why he showed up after all these years. In the years he was away your brothers acted like fathers over you, while the real father was running of, just like you mother seemed to do right now. 'Y/n.' You startled up out your thoughts, looking over to him.
'Yes?' You asked slowly.
'Do you want to travel with me?'
'She is not going anywhere with you father.' Ivar reacted in defense. Ragnar smiled, curious if you would let your brother defending you.
'Why would I? I don't know you.' You said. His smile died away while he stroke his bald head.
'You can't actually blame her father.' Ubbe began.
'I always tried to imagine my father, yes I had memories but never one that kept lingering. I heard most from your fame from my brothers.'
'Can I make it up to you?' Ragnar asked.
'I'm not the only one you have to make it up to.' That was the only answer you gave him. Your brothers missed a large part from their father to growing up.
'She is right, for once.' Ivar reacted. You kicked him against the arm and he chuckled, giving you a softer smile, even proud that you talked on your own.
'For what's it worth, I see you grow to become one of Kattegat most feared women.'
'She already is, she won from Ubbe today.' Ivar smiled cheerful.
'By your help.'
'You never said I couldn't ask for help.' You fired back to Ubbe. You smiled towards your older brother and he smiled right back.
'You all should come join me to England.' Ragnar announced. And the silent dropped immediately. You looked over to Hvitserk from who you knew had plans with Björn. Sigurd started to laugh as first.
'You come back after all those years expecting that we will follow you everywhere?' He spotted. Ragnar looked for some support and he didn't find it with Ubbe, or Hvitserk, not even Björn. But when he looked over to you and Ivar he found something, something small. You looked aside to your brother, equally challenged to go in on it. But maybe it was a dangerous thing to say, although, you didn't had to fear for your life with Ivar around. Like he said it so himself, he kept an eye on you.