❤Chapter Seventeen❤

Start from the beginning

"Leroy?" Marylin says, her voice cracking a bit. "Could you pass me my phone and ear-buds please? I'd like to listen to some music." Leroy immediately stands up, walking over to the small brown table and handing her what she'd requested for. She thanks him and smiles, plugging the ear-buds into her small ears. She closes her eyes and leans back against her pillow. "You thirsty?" Leroy asks, smiling at me. I nod, blushing. Why do I constantly blush!? I swallow, realizing how terribly dry my mouth is. Everything decided to be dry today. 

I follow Leroy to the food court, ignoring the stares we were getting as we asked for only water. This woman and her kids were staring at us as if we just killed three people. I ask Leroy if there's something on my face or my clothes, he shakes his head. 

We sit at a nearby table, watching the cartoons on the small flat screen TV's against the walls. I sipped my water, thankful that it was cold. At the hospital before, the water had been warm. Too warm. I turn my head and notice a young man who looked to be in his twenties, staring at Leroy and I. Mostly me. It wasn't that kind of look, where the guy was checking you out. It was one of those looks that showed concern or pity. "Leroy why are they staring." He turns to looks at the guy and shrugs. "I don't know. Maybe-" The TV cuts him off, giving us both the answer.

A older woman appears on the screen holding a black microphone in her hand, speaking rather loudly. 

"A young woman went on a vacation in hopes that it would end in fun, but actually ended in disaster. Penelope Phillips is arrested after beating Naomi Adams in her parent's attic." The screen shows Penelope fighting against the officers as they stuff her in the police car, slamming the door. I take a deep breath, continuing to listen.

"Naomi Adams is reported to have a bruised stomach but nothing further. Nothing broken or further damaged. The victim looked to be traumatized afterwards but reports say she's getting better. More info on the website." The small website pops up, as I'm being carried on the stretcher into the back of the truck. A sigh escapes from my lips as I rise out of my seat. Leroy rises as well, throwing his cup away. "You okay?" He asks, concern lacing his tone. No, I don't like the idea of everyone knowing my business..

"Who is telling them about all of this?" 

"I have no idea. Maybe Bill or Kelly? I'm not sure." I shrug. "Whatever. It doesn't matter. I'll meet you back in Marylin's room." I say, walking away. He wraps his arms around my waist, turning my body so I'm facing him. He kisses my cheek. "It will be okay, Muffin." I nod, blushing and smiling slightly. "I'll meet you." I say, pulling away from his grasp. I wonder the hospital halls, no longer hearing the strange screams. I sigh in relief, for they were actually starting to freak me out. I happen to pass the woman who'd been crying before. I knock on the door, not exactly sure why. 

The woman opens the door, her sandy brown hair tied in a bun. Her face is still puffy from when she'd been crying. "Hi." She says, her voice trembling. "Hello." I say. "May I come in." She takes a good look at me before answering. "Sure. I'm barely visited anyway." She motions for me to come in. I step in the room that smelled of latex gloves and cherry soap. I walk over to a nearby chair and sit, noticing that this chair is far more uncomfortable than the one in Marylin's. Until I ask of the woman's name, I call her Sandy, because of her hair. 

"How are you?" I ask, realizing how stupid that sounds. She shakes her head. "Well, I'm alright. For now."

"Why were you crying?" I ask. 

She hesitates for a  moment, and then sits down, taking a sip of her water. "I'm dying, hun. Not only that, but I have a husband. He's in the army. What will he do, coming back and finding out that his wife is dead?" Her eyes fill with tears, one sliding down her pale cheek but she quickly wipes it away. "I don't know what to do. I haven't even told him what the doctors told me."