Chapter Thirty-Six

Sorry for the wait! Was on Trip!

Tris

Ten minutes went by when most of the walkers cleared from the back entrance of the Fire station. Madison and Felicia would work together in safely getting to the car.
My job was to go through the door into the garage bay where a few fire engines and ambulance were at. I could hear maybe a half dozen zombies inside the bay. Maybe more. My hearing could be very precise at times.
I turned waving for Felicia and Madison to go a minute after I went inside. The girls all stood quiet. I was surprised Brennan hadn't given me an attitude. "You three do not move from this door. No matter what."
Brennan turned to her mom with wry eyes and then nodded.
I shut my eyes pressing my hand against the door. Positive I would not need to go in all swords and blazing, I opened the door, closing it behind me casually. I also wanted to wait until the next day. I'd learn the longer it took to eat a full protein meal and also drained of energy, the more I appeared as another walker among them. The walkers would not attack me. It was a dangerous move only because I lost more control that way.
There were two walkers wearing half their turn-out firefighting pants. They turned to me curious about the new visitor.
Four others, with blood shot eyes gave me a clear understanding that they were runners. It was as if I was one of them. Not alive. Without a heartbeat and no emotion. I looked to the ambulance hoping the keys were resting on the dashboard.
This would be my easiest kills yet. One by one I slid my knife into each other their skulls. A few realized I was acting abnormal in zombie spectrum but only stared pass me, unable to draw out a reaction.

All dead, I went over to the engine first grabbing a few wildland long distance radios. There were a few axes and other useful tools in the compartments. Backtracking to the ambulance, I opened it up, finding a walker wearing a Paramedic uniform. There was a bite on her arm. She fell out trying to reach for me like I was her rescuer. I went down sliding my knife into the back of her head. I pulled the gurney out knowing i needed all the room possible.

Quickly I went back to the door, opening it gingerly. Obediently, the girls were still waiting. I waved them in. "Follow me." I guided them in the back of the ambulance where the axes and other useful items rested on the floor. There were bandages and all the equipment and medication a Paramedic would stock up.

"I'm going to check on Madison and Felicia. Do not leave this ambulance."

I shut the door before Brennan could dispute.

Heading back into the Fire Station, I went through the hall to the door. I heard shouting. My heart sputter in panic recognizing Felicia's scream. Thinking the worse, I ran out, Katana at hand ready to slice away all that wanted to harm Felicia and Madison. Felicia was on her back, fighting off a walker trying to take her as its morning breakfast. Madison stood on top of the police car. Over two dozen walkers poured into the front parking lot where the Police car sat, surrounding Madison. Their dead hands reached for her like fans reaching for their favorite celebrity.

I rushed to Felicia first, plunging my Katana into the back of its skull. The walker plopped atop Felicia. I yanked it off by the shirt collar. My new concern on Madison I told Felicia to stay back. I leaped over, shoving one of the walkers hard into another. A few of the collapsed over giving me my opening. Being quick, I noticed from the corner of my eyes a dozen more approaching. The sound of slushies being made came to mind as I went one by one, piercing these fuckers through the skull. None seemed to recognize me as a living body. To them I was just another zombie. My heart beat minimized. I felt cold and unnerved. One kill after the next there was a clear path for Madison to jump down. She and Felicia both looked shocked by how easily I killed them without any resistance.