Chapter Twenty-Six

The last four hours was easy. I see a few and kill a few. My priority was to keep those girls safe. Madison could take care of herself but I still watched cautiously for her safety.
"Where are we going?"
"Back to the fire station."
"I thought you said it was overrun by walkers?"
"It is. Maybe." I shook my head. We were standing at a corner, looking out into the street. I thought for a few moments. "There was nothing there for the walkers to attack. They could have moved on. There's a cop car with more stuff in it."
"You stole a cop car,m?" Brennon asked.
I looked to Madison before answering. "It's not stealing anymore unless it belongs to someone actually living." I decided to leave my response at that.
Madison nodded she was ready to continue on.
"In case there is walkers inside the station. It is scary to go in closed corners with walkers. We will head around to police car first. That way you girls can stay inside."
"I don't want to separate..."
"The police car has bullet proof windows. Nothing can get inside. And it's inside fire station. You girls can not come inside until it's cleared." I looked up to Madison. "I can go in alone." I was giving her a way out. Besides I preferred to go in alone.
"I'm not afraid..."
"I'm not suggesting you are." I gave her pleading look. "I'll be fine alone."
Madison opened her mouth to argue.
Two walkers were doing their normal stroll down the sidewalk. I twisted, peeking my head out. Two walker guys. Maybe they had a bromance. It was almost like they knew each other before they were bitten. They walked close together, shoulders bumping. One of the bro walkers had on a sports jersey, the other shirtless. It looked like paint landscaped his body. My guess they were at a football game when attack. The bro walker with no shirt had a layer of skin missing over his chest.
Maybe he thought a woman was coming in for a kiss and instead she ripped a piece of his chest off instead. Would make some sense. I would have fallen for it. I never denied a free kiss from a woman if she was hot.
I rested my body flat against wall. Using hand signals I ordered the girls to take a few steps back.
Whispering to Madison, I counted until the bromance walkers stepped into our view. Quickly I grabbed my knife pulling out as I stabbed the farthest walker behind his head. Madison popped out taking the second walker out.
"Thanks."
"Of course."
We made an excellent pair. Thinking about that, I also didn't mind the way Felicia and I worked. It wasn't perfect but I liked being needed by her. And Felicia helped by keeping me sane.
We made it to the fire station, the girls complaining of exhaustion. It was perfect timing. They could hopefully fall asleep not making potential noises. I checked the front and back seat. "For absolutely no reason should any of you leave this car, period." I could be a bit demanding when it mattered.
Brennon only turned to her mom for confirmation.
"I won't go all the way in. I'll stay at door way in case you need me." Madison held her hand up as I was about to argue. "Work with me, Tris."
Sighing, I nodded. "Fine."
Madison smiled as if winning some argument.
I frowned playfully at her. I would have stuck my tongue out but that would've been very childish.
I pulled out the machete, knife in other hand.
Carefully, I opened the door. It wasn't my knife lightly scraped against the metal doorframe. I was approaching from the side I approached the first time I came here. Madison stayed put. Peeking my head through, I found a walker dead a foot up. Carefully I closed the door trying not to make a creak.
I turned as Madison kept her foot out, stopping the door from completing shutting.
"If anything happens. Head back to the car." I handed her the car keys. I'd kept it in my pocket since the first night. I did not want anyone taking it.
I continued inside. Carefully, I stepped over walker. Not trusting that the walker was dead, I slammed my knife into its skull.
It had a nasty suction sound, more similar to the sound of me fingering a really wet tight pussy. Sex was on the brain. This walker had been dead for at least two or three days.
The odor was foul, my stomach churned. I went forward, looking up the stairs to my right before I turned to the open direction. I knew the break room was to my left and showers to my right. Straight ahead would be the front office of this fire station.
My first concern was making sure both sides of the door where I broke through the window was closed. That would make me have to leave to my left.
"You got this," I chanted to myself.
I literally needed to rock in my heel a few times to pull me I to courage mode. I wasn't trained the this shit like Alice. Thinking of Resident Evil now I tried to incision being teamed up with her. That brought back my confidence. "You got this."
I turned left, making my way down the hall. When I got to the end, instead of heading to break room I went left toward the multiple offices. I found the door that was still open. Broken glass was all over the floor. A few walkers were outside. Silently, I shut the door, twisting the knob so it wouldn't make a sound. Once licked and secured, I turned back toward the break room.
I took a deep breath. Chills ran up my arms and neck. My vision was focused. Every sound kept me on high alert
Making into the break room, everything looked the same as before. Still human clean verses zombie guts or blood scattered across floor and couches.
Now off to the showers, I walked back passing Madison by the door. I gave her a quick nod checking the other side.
Slowly I opened the shower door. I prayed to all the Gods ever known to man hoping one of them could hear me. I would love to use these showers again. If there were any zombie juices on this clean floor, I would be sad. Stepping inside, I was about to cheer a silent relief when I heard the unmistakable sound of a walker.
I closed my eyes. I could walk away and lock this door. I almost did until my inner conscience made me feel guilty. It was like walking by watching someone drop something on the ground. Do you not say anything? What if it was important? What if it was me who dropped it and someone watched? This was the same thing? What if someone else later came into this fire station, thinking they could take a nice shower? What if they couldn't protect themselves as well as me?
I couldn't leave this walker around to harm someone else. Me and my damn morals.
Fuck me. I stepped into the shower room like a cowgirl ready for a gun fight. When the zombie came around one of the shower curtains, I realized it wasn't a walker.
Fuck me. My pulse did the opposite of what a normal mundane human was supposed to do. It slowed dangerously close to not pulsating anymore. My eyes darkened.
Well there we go. Another runner. This was going to be interesting. I bent my knees in launch mode.
"Alice, give me your strength and agility." Though I felt farther away from myself I also felt aware of my actions.
The runners launched themselves at me. I did the same coming at them full speed. Last second, three my runners appeared.
Quick thinking, I changed tactics running a quick right toward the wall. I used speed undefining as I ran three steps up the wall. I dropped back to the ground now at at least two of the runners backside. Swiftly I plunged my knife into the back of its head my machete being swung across as I decapitated its head.
The last three runners turned, one swinging its arm out to grab me.
I pivoted a step back, turning my machete in to cut off its arm.
It was as if losing its arm caused no pain. I kicked the runner in the stomach, as the other two charged like a tackling unit. The two runners slammed me into the wall, one tripping over the decapitated runner.
I nearly lost my balance. I shoved at one of the runners chest, stabbing my knife in between her once beautiful breast. Quickly I pivoted my hand stabbing it through the cheekbone.
The other runner moved back my way, trying to bite into my neck.
Fuck me. See, I wasn't trained for this kind of shit. By the end of the month, I wondered what would be left of me. Would I look like the female version of Frankenstein?
Making a sacrifice, I punched the runner in the mouth, My index finger catching between its teeth. I grimace nearly peeing on myself from the pain.
Satisfied, it bit down hard trying to tear more of my hand off than my index. I dropped my knife so I wouldn't accidentally stab myself in the face.
Using my other hand, I swerved my machete out toward the other runner with the cut off arm, stabbing him through the mouth. The runner dropped to the floor, my machete falling with it.
"Son of a bitch," I screamed.
I still had to deal with the motherfucker who had my index finger.
Impulsively, brought my other hand up chocking it around the neck. There were no gag reflex. I choked him hard, pinching my fingers deeper into the runners neck. I snarled loud as I used all the strength I had, feeling my fingers piece through the neck of his skin. I felt the bone of the runners windpipe around my fingers as I dug in.
The runner finally loosened his grip on my index. I shoved him back enough to grab my knife from the floor. Soon as the runner ran up in me I stabbed it through the eye.
The runners red blood draining eyes blinked a few times making my own eyes water. In the next slow heartbeat it dropped.
I heard more footsteps turning to attack when I saw an unexpected face.
"Felicia." Her name left my lips so softly.
She rushed to me, leaping into my arms.
Tears fell from her face onto my shoulder. I squeezed Felicia tight.
"God, you're alive," she sobbed.
"I'm just Tris," I whispered in her ear.
She laughed through her cry.
I looked around, pass her. "Where's Christian and his girlfriend."
She shook her head, more tears. "He was all right, last I saw. He isn't here."
I nodded, just taking in that I got her back. I opened my arms again, letting her fall into them. She cried some more and I sighed a relief. My heart warmed. I was genuinely happy to have her in my arms. There was a ache no longer felt in my chest. Maybe.
No. I brushed my thoughts off. Felicia was missed but that didn't mean I liked her like her.
"Are you hurt?" I searched her.
She snorted. "Let me see your hand?" I held it out, wincing a little. "Trying to lose another finger?"
I shrugged. "It only hurts a little."
She pressed her finger at the tip of mines and I blurted out a few poor choices of words.
"A little, huh?" She examined further. My finger was nearly ripped off. I'd need serious stitching. My bone was still intact. Fractured, I was sure.
Ignoring my finger, Felicia pressed her hand against my face. "I've missed you."
I smiled. "I've missed--"
"Tris. Are you all right?" Panic came from Madison voice and I paled a little. My eyes widen with this guilty look.
"Who's that?" Felicia whispered.
And in good timing I fainted from the fever already hitting my body. Thank God for the bite!