Chapter Thirteen

~

I was the first to wake. It seemed over the next five hours more zombies built like additional wall layers outside the liquor store. I could hardly sleep with these fucking zombies singing in groaning tones. They sounded like old men in a porno sacking off.
I went around the store quietly, not ready to wake everyone up. I packed each of our bags with some of the snacks I found on the shelves.
A few lighters and over the counter painkillers. I packed a few more important items knowing it would come to good use eventually.
I walked over to the front door, leaning onto it. Through the tinted double glass door I could make out each individual zombie as the groaned, slapping their rugged hands against the outside walls. A few heads pressed against the wall scraping their teeth and fingernails into it.
They definitely were aware of our presence. I tapped the door with my knife and they reacted like a heard forced into a new direction. More gathered around smacking harder into the wall as if trying to bust their way through. My brow perked up curious for another reaction.
I used my knife to scrape across the surface, trailing a few feet from the doors. They seemed to follow like a cat chasing a fly.
"What the hell are you doing?"
I jumped against the wall, grabbing my chest. Too distracted from my planning I turned finding Felicia standing a few feet from me. My heart pounded loud and hard. "You scared the Shit out of me."
Her brow furrowed, eyes narrowed and bewildered. "Good. What are you doing?" I guess she was passed her little infatuation for me last night.
"I have an idea."

~

We had woke up my brother and Christy and they all gathered around as I shared my idea.
"Hell no." Christian hissed.
"You can't be serious?" Felicia asked incredulous. "That's too risky."
"Well it's my risk to take," I said. I pointed to our dead zombie buddy we spent the night with. "He's our chance for survival. We take it and we take it now."
Felicia rolled her eyes. "All right, Alice and G.I Jane reincarnated.
"This isn't the Walking Dead or any other zombie movie," Christian said. "There has to be something else we can do."
"We can wait until more zombies come...let a second night pass. By then either it will be the hugest any herd ever lived or they break through that class door and windows."
They all sighed. Eventually, they would see my point. For now, I would let them try to come up with another plan. See, I was not a dictator. Team work.
It would go my way. It took them about ten minutes to argue over new ideas, dismissing each plan. When they were finished they all looked at me shaking their head in defeat.
"What's plan b?" Christian said. "If this doesn't work."
"Either way...I will draw the zombies away from you." I considered a meeting location. Something very close. "The fire station."
"What?" Christy frowned.
"We meet at the fire station. It's a few blocks away."
"We're not splitting up." Christian walked over to me. "That's never been apart of our plan."
"It's only temporary." I forgot about my hand and missing pinky when I pressed it against the door. Wincing, I cradled my hand against my abdomen and took a slow breath. "If my plan does not work, I'm the only one who has the best chance for survival. I can't lose you. When I leave...you three are to run to the fire station and if that is overrun head to a place close enough for you to see me."
"This is a bad idea." Christy walked toward the back.
Christian momentarily struggled to which path he should take.
"Go on. I'll talk some sense into your sister." Felicia waved Christian to head off.
I crossed my arms, frowning like a defiant child being told what to do. I was not a child and my mind was made up.
Another thing. Who was Felicia to think she had any say in the matter to tell my little brother she would handle it. Correction, handle me. She must have been a very good comedian before this time of the zombie apocalypse.
"I don't know what kind of role you think you have with me. I'm going to let you know right now it's not one that will make me change my mind."
Felicia rolled her eyes. "Come down." She looked out toward the back of the store. We were alone. "I agree with your decision."
I frowned. Here I thought she was about to play fixer-upper and she was on my side. "Well. Good."
Felicia snorted. She took a few steps toward me. I watched carefully as she pulled my hand from my abdomen. "Let me check it," she whispered softly.
I skewed my expression in confusion. She was a total snob two minutes ago. "So I guess I am a reincarnation of G.I Jane and Alice."
Pursing her lips, Felicia sighed. "Why do you have to be such a smart ass?"
"I was born this way. I would say ask my parents but..." I said nothing else.
Felicia unwrapped my hand in silence. Her stare was intense, glued to my hand.
"This wasn't your fought."
She said nothing. Continued unwrapping until my hand was exposed.
I winced a little. My blood dried up, attaching some if the wrapping to my skin. It was like pulling duct tape from my skin.
My reaction seemed to effect Felicia. She pressed her lips together drawing into a thin line. Eye more narrowed into my hand she stared at it for a long time.
"Thank you." I opened my mouth to speak but she beat me to it. "I never said told you that. Thank you for saving my life again. I'll do better."
My brother and Christy walked back in.
"You're such a know-it-all aren't you?" Felicia frowned, stepping away from me as if I'd been dismissing her the entire time. What the hell? Was this woman crazy? She was just showing me some affection and then I get this attitude back.
"She has her moments," Christian added in.
Great. Everyone attack me.
"What the hell?" I whispered to her when my brother turned to say something to Christy.
Felicia shrugged. "I can't have your brother thinking I like you."
My brother refocused on me than my unwrapped hand. I would have to save this conversation with Felicia later. What was wrong with openly liking me anyway? Women and their games. This was a Damn zombie takeover and she still managed to play as if this was more like the Hunger Games.
"How is it?"
I looked down at my hand. Blood dried around, darkened and hard. I'd need to clean that off. From the look of my pinky it was no longer inflamed. It was already healing as if I'd lost my pinky a week ago. "It's fine."
I walked passed them going back to one of the bags. I packed wrapping I found in one of the aisle. Where was saline when I needed it?
I cleaned off my hand the best I could and wrapped it in new bandages.
"Appears your leg is fine too?"
I turned to Felicia.
"Did you pretend to get shot or is your healing abilities really that good?"
Okay. We were definitely having that talk. She didn't have to go bitch on me.
I could go the snarky approach. I could. It was tempting. Tempting like finding a hundred dollar bill on the ground right after someone dropped it. Should I tell the person they dropped it or take it for myself? Tempting.
Thinking of it that way helped me decide. I never purposely did anything immoral. I wouldn't now. Not that I would consider this decision making an immoral thing to do. Merely petty.
"Looks like it's my plan after all."
"I still don't like it." Christian sighed. "But you're right. This is the only real chance at getting out."
"I packed each of your bags with the basic necessities. Look around. Grab what ever else you seem necessary. I'll prepare."
I was about to reenact the famous Rock scene from the Walking Dead. Would it be successful? Would there be a new skilled strategy I learned in doing this? Would I be considered a better badass than all the other badass people ever lived, functionally or non-fictionally?
I could be such a dork. Well...one way to find out.

~
Thanks everyone for enjoying this story so far!
I know. I left a nice cliffhanger. It is better to break this next chapter into its own. Promise you'll be happy with the next one. I post it in a few days