Chapter Three

Alice Reborn...Not Likely
~

  I could feel my own sweat glands give out as if I used up its usage. I needed a fan or something to bring upon a circulation of air. My lips felt sticky almost hard to part as I pressed them together. I had to lick in between my lips to split them. The dryness in my mouth made my throat burn with a pasty taste. My body ached and I couldn't hold back the discomfort. I tried using my lips to add moisture around them.
   A soft moan escaped from my lips, my eyes failing to open. My arms were tied high over my head like someone kidnapped and chained. 
Fuck.
   A headache that was unnoticeable started to make its presents known. I heard movement from across the room and I turned toward it, wincing from the swift movement of my head. Feeling groggy and annoyed by my current position I groaned. My ribs retracted in and out as panic took me again when I couldn't release my arms. Not being able to see and being chained was not going to keep me from panicking.
   "Tris." It was Christian. His voice sounded terrified and guarded. He said my name as if not sure it was me. Maybe he was tied up too.
"Please speak, Tris," he choked out in a sob.
   I tried to lift my head up shifting my body a little. Instantly, sharp stabbing pain radiated from my shoulder to the lower part of my abdomen.
Fuck—fuck—fuck. Bad idea.
   I moaned painfully.
   I saw a shadowy figure head my way and I fought to get out of my restraints. "It's me," Christian bellowed out afraid.
   I pursed my lips together trying to form words. "Water." My mouth moved as slow as a slug.
   "You're alive," he cried out running off. I hoped he was bringing me some water. That's all was on my mind. When he came back he opened the bottle of water as his hands trembled. "I thought you were..." his words broke off and he grunted. "Here." He poured water slowly into my mouth trying not to spill it on me.
   I coughed up some of the water as he backed away. Each swallow was as if my throat was constricting against the pressure from the water. Bigger picture; I felt as if I was swallowing rocks. I took in a few heavy dragged breaths until my breathing returned back to normal.
   I cleared my throat taking in my brother. I hadn't seen him since before...before what? I couldn't fathom the memory of my parents attacking me. I stifled at the thought. I knew right away it wasn't a dream. "Christian." It took him a minute to look at me. Seemed he was in some trance. "Untie me."
   He stayed still. His eyes scanned over me making me look down at myself. I was covered in blood. My blood. The memory involuntarily flooded my mind. I remember the first bite over my forearm. I grimaced shutting my eyes begging the memory to go away. The bites over my collarbone and abdomen hurt the worse. "Christian. Untie me." My voice was a bit stronger from only two minutes ago. See what water did for a person's body. No matter how good Gatorade, juice, and soda was, water was the best choice.
   I stared at my brother watching as he hesitated to make a decision. I looked around realizing we were in our basement. The stained dark walls seemed to make the basement claustrophobic. Sitting on this hard concrete ground was annoyingly painful. My ass would definitely be complaining. I knew I would have bruises from that later.
   "You're bitten," he finally said.
Okay...and?
   I didn't understand why I was tied up in the first place. "Why am I tied up?" As I spoke other questions popped into mind. Like, 'how did we get down here? Where were our parents?''
   "Because...you. Were. Bitten." He said every word slowly as if that would explain everything.
   "Huh?"
   "Tris. Come on. You've seen zombie movies." He abased his head as if his next words would be painful. Sucking in air, he gazed into my eyes. "Mom and dad are...zombies."
I wanted to take him serious but come on. From the sadness in his eyes that couldn't be faked I really wanted to try any understand what he was saying.
Zombies for God sakes.
   I stared intently at my brother. He had no humor in his eyes like he normally would if he was joking. No way I could take the shit he just said serious though.
Zombies.
   I thought back on how our mother face looked as she attacked me. Her eyes were strawberry red as if it could combust out and spill. Skin cold, dry and pale. Cyanosis throughout her skin. The image of my mother's face wasn't my mother.
They had caught the same thing that the people in the hospital had. I stayed mute and when I finally spoke, I uttered one word. "Zombies." The moment the word came out, other thoughts formed that my brother had been trying to tell me. "I was bitten." Fear slapped me in the face.
Oh, shit. I was bitten.
   "Fuck." I growled out, face contorting. "How long have I been out?"
   "Two days," Christian said. I saw I tear fall from his eyes.
   I couldn't leave my brother alone in this world. Then something clicked. "We've been down here for two days?"
   My brother nodded in response. We stared at one another as if waiting for some answers to come to us. Something loud hit against the basement door and we both jumped from the unexpected sound. Something told me that was our parents.
   I was alive because of my brother. "What happened?" last I remembered I was getting chewed up by our parents. "How did we get down here?"
   My brother sat more comfortably next to me staring down probably at my bite wounds. "I ran into our neighbors backyard and grabbed their dog. I heard you scream and...they were...I had to help you."
  "So you used the dog as a distraction." I tried to sit up further but the restraints were making it really hard for me to do that. My hair was no longer in its ponytail and strands of it fell over my face. I stayed quiet waiting for Christian to finish.
Nnn"The dog worked as perfect bait, and when they chased after him, I got you. You were barely conscious. I thought you were turning into them, but...I didn't. I didn't—''
"You didn't want to be left alone," I finished for him. He nodded turning away. "I'm okay now. And I will never leave you. Good thing you're so imaginative, to believe in zombies and didn't approach them." I tried to laugh a little. I didn't like the fear in his eyes. But it didn't work. I was trying to distract him.
"Don't give me promises. You were bitten."
   "I'm still here, though."
   "Yeah. For how long?"
   "Always," I said surely.
   "But your—''
   "Christian. You're the zombie expert. It's been two days. What do you think is going on with me?"
   Christian took my question serious, pleased I was relying on his help. "The infection should have spread into you completely by now with how bad all your bites were." It seemed as if he was gaining some clarity. "You're normal though. Or maybe more like Alice was in Resident Evil."
   "Who?" He lost me.
   "You know. The movie Resident Evil. The woman...Alice. She had the virus injected into her but was immune having developing abilities."
   "Oh right. The one in the red velvet outfit."
   He rolled his eyes."Yes, her."
   She was fucking sexy. I'd fuck her.
   "You could have powers, you know."
   "I wouldn't go that far. I'm just immune, I guess." I sighed. "I'll be okay. That's what matters. Now you can untie me." That wasn't a request.
   This time, there was no hesitation as he untied me quickly.
   Once my hands were released I slowly sat up straighter, leaning against the wall as I rubbed my sore wrist.
"I'm glad you're okay," he said. His eyes were full of pain but his face still showed some form of a smile.
"I'm not going anywhere." I lifted my arm painfully to him smoothing the tear that slipped from the barrier of his eye. "I need you...too." Though I ached everywhere I was thankful to have him. I slowly pulled him into a hug as I held him until he finally broke down. I couldn't imagine the fear and thoughts that went through his mind for the last two days. The thought of him fearing I'd wake up as a zombie. The fear of him being alone.
A tear fell from my own eyes thankful he was smart enough  to see what was happening and brave. "My hero," I whispered.
   We split a part and sat for a long moment, contemplating.
   "What is our next move?" Christian had asked the question I'd been afraid to ask.
   I needed to regain my strength which seemed was getting better. But I knew the answer already. "We have to get through our parent."
   That was a fact that we both knew. And there was only one way to doing that. Possibly killing them.