Chapter Eighteen

"Please." My brother screamed as if being ripped apart. In a way he had. My brother was my other half.
Though I could not keep my eyes open, breathing only twice a minute, my hearing was still solid. Hands grabbed at my shoulders and arms. Someone was tugging me, hands at my ankles pulling me back.
I had no doubt it was my brother stopping them from taking me away.
"She's dead, boy," Donnie shouted at my brother. "She did this to herself."
Was I dead? There was no air felt between my lips to let me know I was still breathing. Water dropped on my face, the wind brushing my skin. I was nearly outside of the car.
I heard my brother again, Felicia and Christy crying out for Donnie to change his mind.
He wouldn't. He would toss me out of their van like something you saw off of a movie after a gun shooting. A car skidding and shoving out the enemy they just killed.
My brother was silenced by the slamming of something hard against most likely my brothers head.
"Everyone now shut the fuck up," Donnie shouted. "Those fucking zombies will catch up." My body tugged further out. "And I don't plan to be here when they do."
My body collapsed against the cold concrete. The roughness of the gravel scrapped at my skin. I was too far gone to react.
Footsteps stopped, the car door shutting. I heard only a few more pleads before the van sped off.
There was no life near to help me. My blood soaked into a puddle around my chest and out on the ground. Water splashing over my face was a clear indicator that it was raining very heard. The sun was still out, burning against my face.
   Tears fell out my eyes. I needed the willpower to move. I needed strength to enter into my muscles. I needed to find my brother.
My brother. The thought of him thinking he was alone. That I was dead.
   My lips drummed together fighting to take a breath. My eyelids felt like weights. Thankfully, I could feel my knife at my backside.
   Donnie taken my katana. Forcibly, by sheer mental will I told my body to move.
   The rain was too heavy, I opened my lips weakly to clear out the dryness in my mouth. Rain puddled inside my mouth, hydrating me enough to gain more strength.
   The rain splashing next to my ear did not keep out the gurgling sound of walkers.
Fuck me!
   There was no heartbeat in my chest yet somehow I knew I was alive and not dreaming in the death realm.
   By the sound of chorus gurgling there was definitely more than a few walkers headed my way. If my life officially ended being ate the death by walkers. Fuck me.
   I tried not to panic. Get up, Tris.
   Slowly, I twisted my head, mouth breathing against the ground. Rain slid down the side of my face.
   Grunting out enough energy, I swung my arm over to one side. I slid my other arm underneath me, trying to propel my body off the ground. My knees scratched against the gravel through my pants due to how harsh my body weight relied on my knees to assist in lifting me up.
   Gradually, I opened my eyes at the same time blindly reaching for my knife. The groans from the walkers were close enough to breathe on my neck by how heightened my senses were.
   Lazily, I straightened onto my knees eyes opening as my arms hung loosely at my side. I had just a few seconds to face the walker staggering my way.
   It's eyes were egg yolk yellow, blubbery tongue appearing bigger than his mouth. Before this walker turned he had to be at least sixty years old. There was thick pieces of scalp missing around his skull, the rest of his head filled with grey hair. Blotches of blood stained around his mouth. He was missing half of his teeth.
   I shook my head from the disgust of the walker and headache in my head. This sucked terribly.
   Seven feet. Six. Five. Four. I lifted my life up defensively. Three. Two. I lifted to one knee.
   The walker reached for me like they all did. So welcoming until these fuckers decided to take a bite out of you.
   One. My knife plunged into the walkers chest. Blood only seeped out of his chest. The old man walker continued unaffected by my attack. I removed the knife from his chest, grunting as I stuck it into the walkers skull next.
   The walker dropped beside me in time for the second walker to reach for me. I made the same reaction, taking out the second walker. The second walker collapsed over the first.
Squinting my eyes, I gazed up toward the sun. More walkers were approaching. Finding my strength; somehow I possessed, I got my legs to work. I stood, wobbling like a toddler learning how to walk for the first time.
Five more walkers were approaching like they were on a race to see which could reach me first. I stepped back prematurely, staggering as my arms swung loosely at my sides. I could hardly swallow. I opened mouth again tilting my head up to let more rain slip between my lips. I groaned at the pleasure. It was hot and raining making the humidity too sticky.
The stench from the walkers made my legs move faster from them. Something about wet, over cooked walkers brought out the worse kind of smell. I squeezed my hand tight around the knife. Move, Tris.
I walked weakly. There was a park to my right, other local small businesses. I was about to head toward a beauty shop when another walker stepped through the door.
Damn, I was screwed. I could hardly walk without tripping over my other foot. Music from a far created an eager curiosity to where it was coming from.
Fortunately, Tris was smart enough not to head toward the music. She knew their would be a whole crowd of walkers just as curious about the music. I put my legs into quicker gear, hearing more walkers than I like to admit.
More growls emanated behind me. I needed to find a place to hide. I was too weak to fight them all off. There was car parked on the side walk. I continued moving being knocked over by a walker probably minding her business before meeting me.
   The walker twisted her head, trying to stand up. I never fell completely only stumbling a few feet. Before letting the walker stand, I went over stabbing my knife atop the walkers head.
   I continued to the car looking inside before going in. I wouldn't make the same mistake Steve done. It was a Jeep rangler. Not a car I'd buy on a normal day but a vehicle to be thankful for now.
   Climbing in, I shut the door locking it. I was too weak to run or search for a hiding place in a building. God only knew what else I'd find. I flatten my body, laying on my back. I could hear the walkers clearly coming along the street. It had to be at least a few dozen of them.
   I laid silent for a few minutes. The sound of the small herd brushing against the vehicle forced shivers out of me. I hoped not one walker noticed me. If Shaq walked by with his seven foot self I'd surely be found.
   Feeling for a pulse in my neck I waited for nearly a minute before I felt a pulse of life. Shaking my head, I squeezed my eyes shut freaked out.
   For twenty minutes I kept checking for my pulse. Not finding one was more than baffling. Another twenty minutes and I was contemplating checking my chest where the bullet entered through me. It hurt to breathe but not as much as it should have. After another thirty minutes of backing in and out of decision, I pressed the tips of my fingers around the small hole in my chest.
Grunting from the aching in my chest, I lifted my shirt reaching for a mirror in the backseat pocket. I faced the mirror toward my chest and saw blood seeping out, blunting a few times. There were definitely air bubbles in my chest. Somehow, I was still here. There was no explanation.
   Since being attacked and bitten up by my parents somehow my DNA changed. I could heal faster. The pulse that was a indicator I was alive vanished.
   My eyes lids were heavy. The energy I possessed completely gone. I needed to rest. I needed to heal. And most of all I needed to find my brother, Christy, and Felicia.
   For now, I would sleep.