Chapter Twenty-Three

I held my breath underneath the water, time passing. I'd been in the tub desperate for a good soaking. Another three days past and all was outside to greet me was walkers.
   The door opened, heaving me above water. My breast pert, nipples harden from the chill of the air and possibly something more. Madison stood in the doorway, mouth agape, turning away with flushed skin.
Subconsciously, I grinned.
   "I'm sorry. I tried calling your name. I thought..." Her cheeks redden further.
   I rested my elbows on both ends of the tub. I didn't care if she saw me naked. I liked making her blush. "You love bothering me."
   "I was merely concerned," Madison said high pitched.
   "I'm very much a woman now. You don't have to revert back to babysitting me." I exaggerated my tone a bit.
   "You're definitely a woman now," she mumbled under her breath. I pretended not to hear what she'd said. It made me feel good to know that she saw me as a woman now.
   Madison eyes locked to mines. We stared in comfortable silence, being startled by Brennon.
   "Mom." I could hear her run up the stairs.
   Madison closed the door leaving a few inches of space for me to listen without using my abilities.
   "There's a bunch of zombies on our block," Brennon rushed out.
   I leaped out the bathtub, Madison telling Brennon to get the girls and come upstairs quietly.
   "I'm getting dressed," I muttered.
Fully clothed, I ran out the bathroom, knife at hand. "Get the girls to my parents room. If it comes to it we can climb out down to the backyard."
   The girls rushed to the room. "You three need to stay quiet. Not one sound." They nodded, opening the window just incase.
   "Do not leave this room," Madison said. "Wait for us."
   Both Madison and I moved down the stairs. We kept silent. I crouched by the window, changing tactics. I didn't want to be one of those dumb idiots who drew attention to me by exposing myself through a window. Especially, since I had a peephole through the door. Carefully, I peeked through. Nothing made me happy than to live through this night without another bite to manage. I surely didn't want to lose anymore fingers.
   There were possibly thirty; forty walkers passing by. I saw perhaps half a dozen runners chasing after a dog that had the misfortune of being trapped outside the house at night.
   Sorry. Canines weren't worth risking my life for. I waved Madison over. "It looks like their passing."
   Right when I was about to move away from the door, there was a scream from across the street. Fuck me.
   Seriously, I had no time for this. Total bullshit.
   Closing my eyes I listened. My hearing was improving to the point that I could hear this woman's breathing. Always a damsel. Last time I tried to rescue a damsel, I almost was eaten by a no-legs walker. She was already dead. I wasn't making that mistake again.
   "Shut up," I whispered. She was drawing attention back to our block. They wouldn't leave unless she ran away from here. That was not likely. The zombies that ran were already inside the house.
   I shook my head, pinching the bridge of my nose. "We're screwed."
   "What?" Madison mumbled.
   "They're not going anywhere. At least not tonight." I sighed softly. "We will stay in my..." I frowned, thinking of my parents dead bodies in the basement..."my parents room tonight. Let's get our bags and keep them in the room with us in case we need to jet out."
   Luckily, I was smart enough to recommend our bags be pre-packed.
   Madison grabbed two backpacks, putting a few things inside.
   I heard the skidding of a glass cup skirting against the counter. I moved so fast, adrenaline my friend, catching the cup right before it crashed onto the ground.
   I blew out a heavy breath moving swift and quiet to the door. Thank the heavens. The zombie fucks heard nothing.
   I pointed upstairs. "No more packing," I muttered.
   "How will we know if they try to come inside?" Madison asked.
   "I will hear them." I spoke vaguely.
   Madison only stared, dubiously. "Hear them. How?"
   "Let's go." I ignored her question.
   She didn't fight me. We went upstairs carefully. "It's us," I whisper through the door before opening it. I didn't want the girls to accidentally scream like our neighbor.
   I opened slowly.
   Brennon rushed to Madison, hugging her tight. A few tears fell down her face. 
   "I'm okay, sweetie." Madison kissed her forehead.
   I was about to say lay in bed when I realized the scenery in my parents room. There was blood, a couple liters worth stained over the carpet; some splattered on the wall next to the bed. The chair I'd used to rest by my parents while they were sick. I shivered from my memory. Tears hovered around the edges of my eyes. My body ached like always from this memory.
   I cleared my throat. "We should stay in my brothers room. It's right across from this room." I blinked a few times thankful no tears came out.
Madison has questions in her eyes but did the good thing of keeping it to herself. I know she wondered who my parents attacked. Their was dead dog my brother used as a decoy in their rest room.
   Everyone followed me into the next room. My brother had a queen size bed. "You girls. Sleep in the bed." I ordered without asking.
   I slid against the wall, beneath the window. This room reminded me that I lost Christian. I squeezed my hands together. Anxiety was a bitch.
My mind couldn't pull out of its guarded position. Always alert to any signs. I could hear the zombies vaguely groaning erratically. My guess; they found they're prize.
"I wish there was something we could have done?"
Madison slid down next to me. I knew she was thinking the same thing I was about the woman across from us. "We would have drawn attention to us, risking our lives. Risking Brennon and those girls."
Waving my words off, Madison sighed. She looked up at the girls already asleep in the bed. "I know."
"Get some sleep."
She nodded, leaning her head against my shoulder. There was no hesitation in her actions. I smiled, as she fell asleep.